Girls’ water polo looks forward to the upcoming season

Girls water polo practices their kicks in the pool

Girls’ water polo practices their kicks in the pool

Elizabeth McIntyre, Staff Reporter

We all come from different cliques, and when we’re out there we have this mutual respect for each other. We’re all part of something.

— Jones

The girls’ water polo team is seeing new leadership for the new season. Bo de Lange, an experienced athlete, is the new coach for both of Tracy High’s water polo teams.

Senior Tessa Robinson said, “I was nervous about the new coach.”

“He took the time to get to know the team and spend time with us,” senior Lane Fishburn said. “He has a really great attitude,” sophomore Evalina Maas-Espinoza said.

De Lange is considered to be more competitive other coaches the players have had. “They have similar qualities, but Bo definitely knows his stuff,” senior Sydney McCarthy said.

“I was actually really close with my old coach… but I’ve built up my reputation with the new coach, so I’m not worried.” Robinson said.

Junior Mila Jones likes the new coach’s techniques. “He’s coaching us a bit harder, and I feel like he’s trying to be strict, but he’s really nice. Coach Bo is teaching us more actual water polo,” Jones said.

“We swim a lot more than we did with Coach Britt,” Maas-Espinoza said. McCarthy agreed and said, “the swimming is pretty intense.

“The harder swim sets make them swim faster, it encourages them to swim faster,” Fishburn said. Extra swimming and a more vigorous workout has its benefits.

“I’m definitely very happy with the progress they’ve made so far…every day they get better,” de Lange said, talking about his players’ progress.

“The first hour is just swimming… so that’s definitely exhausting,” senior Elizabeth Whittemore said.

Most players feel as though they have improved and are ready for game-play. “The new coach is pushing for some victories,” Whittemore said. “Bo can help us win,” Jones said.

The new coach has even contributed with the overall harmony of the team.

“Even though I’m new, we’re all getting used to this new coach and the way he’s doing things. So it’s almost as if we’re all going through the same learning experience. I feel like that’s part of what unifies us,” Whittemore said.

According to the varsity players, the water polo team at Kimball High School is the one to beat.

“Kimball is really good, they have a good reputation,” Robinson said.

“I’m definitely going to have to say that Kimball will be our hardest competition,” Fishburn said.

“We definitely have a lot of numbers,” de Lange said.

“We’re really aggressive. We like to fight back,” Fishburn said. Tracy High will be a tough team to beat this school-year.

“I’m going to see as the season progresses who does the best job in being a leader, and who is consistent in coming to practice. That’s really what it’s all about…I’m very happy with Tessa, Kaitlyn’s a strong girl. Lane is a good swimmer, I’m really happy with a lot of the girls,” de Lange said.

“The more chemistry we have, and the better the chemistry, the better we play,” Robinson said. Robinson looks forward to the connections she will make with her team over the season.

girls wp 2

Girls’ water polo swims laps during practice.

girls_wp_1 r

Girls’ water polo scrimmages during practice.