Varsity football prepares for the season ahead

Josh Alvarado looking  to pass to a receiver.

W. Thallander

Josh Alvarado looking to pass to a receiver.

Ali Davis

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OpVT1nd0o1k

Last year, Tracy High’s varsity football team succeeded in making it far in playoffs, although they lost in the section championship game to Folsom. With half the team graduated, this year’s Bulldogs are in for a change having their full squad made up with juniors, seniors and two sophomores

I’m excited that I will have the chance to play on varsity this year, it’s going to be cool

— Josh Alvarado

Alvarado is the starting quarterback, younger brother of last year’s MVP Jacob Alvarado. Josh played on the sophomore team his freshmen year and is now accepting the challenge of starting on varsity his sophomore year.

“I do have a big role as a quarterback, but I have a good offensive line, so I know they have my back. I expect to make it just as far as we did last year; we have no reason not to,” Alvarado said.

“It feels amazing to be back on the field and be able to play with the boys I played with growing up,” senior Myles Spencer said.

Spencer has been out with a torn ACL injuries, and has finally been able to get back on the field to play. He played at De La Salle high school his freshman year and has returned to play for the Bulldogs as outside linebacker.

“This season I am going all out before I hang up my cleats for high school, I’m excited to do big things,” Spencer said.

“This year we have a different atmosphere on and off the field. What I’m most excited about is our defense this season and how much better we have gotten,” senior Trent Griffith said.

Griffith is playing outside linebacker for the Bulldogs. With his high energy and positive attitude he should be a great aspect to the team. This is Griffith’s second year on the varsity team.

“We have a good group of kids coming up, those guys bonded the over the 14 games last season, as well as the guys coming up, and they kind of came right in and bonded over the summer. We will be fine going into the season,” coach Matt Shrout said.

Shrout has been coaching varsity for over six years. The Bulldogs will be playing Clayton Valley at home on Sept.4, at 7 p.m.