Boys’ water polo hopes to compete in TCAL

Wayne Thallander

Senior Kurt Finney blocks shot against Lodi.

Duncan Ordenana, Staff Reporter

It was tough last year for the Tracy High boys’ water polo team, after a successful preseason the Bulldogs finished fifth in the Tri City Athletic league (TCAL). Two new powerful water polo programs of St. Mary’s and Tokay made the league stronger. With a new coach the Bulldogs water polo team hopes for a bright season.

New hI expect more such as water polo knowledge and basic mechanicsead coach Bo de Lange brings a more intense atmosphere and college level experience to the team. De Lange played water polo in high school at West High and St. Mary’s High, then went on to play at UC Irvine, were at one point they were the fifth-ranked team in the nation. His only prior coaching position was for a youth group in Newport. Once the coaching position was open he took the opportunity, and now he is the head coach of the boys and girl water polo teams.

De Lange brings an intense atmosphere and has been conditioning his players much more than the past.

“Since he came the environment has been more intense and there has been a lot more conditioning,” returning starter John Legasa said.

Now in Tracy’s second year in the TCAL, coach de Lange knows that St. Mary’s and Tokay should be a challenge, but is confident in his players to perform well.

“I’m happy with the commitment from the boys,” De Lange said. “

I expect more such as water polo knowledge and basic mechanics.

— De Lange

.”

A challenge for the team this year is a shortage of players.

Legasa said that there are many talented players that can help out in the pool with skills and mechanics when the coaches can’t, but a problem is the roster isn’t as full as usual.

“We have good coaching and have had great conditioning, but we could use more players,” senior Spencer Bishop said.

A shortage of players could mean less rest for starters which could affect how tired they become as the game goes on.

This past weekend the Bulldogs had a tournament at Heritage High in Brentwood. The teams scrimmaged rather than playing full games. The boys still have two tournaments in September and the first league game is on Monday Sept. 28 against Tokay High in Lodi. The first home game is two days after against West High on Sept. 30.