Soccer squad starts season with victories

Cameron Peterson moves the ball away from Tracy territory.

Wayne Thallander

Stephanie Ascevedo, Staff Reporter

Tracy High varsity boys’ soccer team had a good starting point taking its first win against Lathrop High, 4-0, at Tracy High on Aug. 28. Tracy beat Kimball High 1-0, on Sept. 3, at Tracy High. The Bulldogs will travel to Tokay High on Sept. 9. Varsity soccer coach Phil Kalis plans to have a successful soccer season by playing well, training harder, and keeping the boys accountable for their actions.

We are a team. We will win and lose as a team.

— Phil Kalis

“Every team will be a unique challenge.” Kalis’ advice to his young soccer players who wish to continue playing soccer is, “Play harder then everyone around you.” Todd Hoffman, captain, plays central defensive mid, making sure that the right and left defender have their man on sight and Hoffman has sight of the defense as the incoming player crosses into Tracy territory. “We plan to play really well this season,” Hoffman said. Hoffman, as one of the three varsity captains, expects to win league and go as far as possible in playoffs. Tracy came in second place in the Tri City Athletic League last season. Cameron Peterson, another captain, said that he is basically playing everywhere, where ever Coach Kalis puts him. “I’m a utility player, but mostly in the attacking mid,” Peterson said. Peterson plans to expose the openings on the field and score a lot of goals. The team picked up three sophomores and one freshman. The team hopes to stay away from injuries. If players are injured, there are players on the bench who can swap in and play their role. Jonathan Marin, captain, plays center back, but in the first game again Lathrop he played left mid. He said he enjoys playing center back more than left mid. “It feels good to be chosen as a varsity captain two years in a row because it shows that people look up to me,” Marin said. Marin, Hoffman, and Peterson have big roles because not only are they captains, but they are hoping to win games. During the first game against Lathrop, Hoffman broke his right leg. Hoffman will be off from playing soccer because of his injury, but Tracy still has players that will be able to take Hoffman’s’ position until he recovers.

Sophomore, Jesus Flores goes one on one against a Sierra High player