Students no longer have to pass exit exam to get diploma

Samara Guillen, Staff reporter

Starting this year, there will no longer be a California High School Exit Examination (CAHSEE) requirement for students to graduate from high school. In previous years, it was mandatory to pass the test as a graduation requirement; there has been a new bill passed, that the CAHSEE is no longer needed.

“I just wish they can just make up their mind,”

— Principal Jason Noll

The CAHSEE was created by the California Department of Education that was mandated high school student statewide pass the test in order to graduate. The purpose of taking the test is to improve student achievement in high schools and to ensure that students developed skills in both math and English.

“I don’t think it’s really fair that I had to take it, but then they just don’t require it all of a sudden.” Junior student Shayla Quesada who passed CAHSEE said.

The passing score for mathematics and English Language Arts of the CAHSEE was 350. The test was taken in the sophomore year and was a graduation requirement. If a student didn’t pass they had to retake the test until it was passed, through the rest of the high school years.

“Anyone who didn’t pass it, but has the credits for a diploma will now is able to get the diploma,” Noll said.

Noll stated that the governor signed a bill explaining that the CAHSEE is no longer being used through 2018. It is no longer a graduation requirement. All students need is to do is to meet the school district requirements in order to graduate. Nothing will happen to the students who have already passed. Noll thinks that the state trying to combine star testing and the CAHSEE in some sort of way to make it one.

“I appreciate it because it gives us one less thing to worry about.” junior student who didn’t pass CAHSEE said.