The Bulldog’s tough football season comes to an end

Senior  Courtney Hawkins jumps over players to score a touchdown for the Bulldogs.

Senior Courtney Hawkins jumps over players to score a touchdown for the Bulldogs.

Courtney Vasquez, Staff Reporter

As the Tracy Bulldog’s football team’s season comes to an end, they found that this year was full of successful wins and some heartbreaking losses.

The freshmen team ended the year with overall stats of one win and two losses, and zero league wins and one league loss. The sophomore team had an overall outcome of five wins and zero losses, and three league wins and zero losses. The varsity team faced tougher teams in TCAL (Tri-City Athletic League) and finished with an overall of five wins and five losses, and three league wins and two league losses.

“I think we got better throughout the season, and we could have been much better, but we didn’t get the chance to improve in the little amount of time we had at the end,” Head Coach Matt Shrout said.

The varsity team played against tougher schools such as St. Mary’s, Lincoln, and Clayton Valley, which contributed to some of the losses they had. However, Tracy beat West, Tokay, and Lodi, which helped give them some success for their year.

“We tried our best, and tried to do everything that we practiced for the games, but I feel we didn’t play mentally as best as we could have at some games,” senior Courtney Hawkins said of the losses.

Although the team did face some tough losses, they were more than happy to defeat the cross town rival teams, West and Kimball, and win the championship trophy.

Tracy beat Kimball, 35-3, and they defeated West in   a close game, 21-20. This was one of the best moments the team had, and the seniors were ecstatic to have wins against their biggest rivals.

It felt great winning the championship because Tracy High has a reputation to maintain as the best team in Tracy, and we did that.

— senior Nate Turner

Beating West was an exciting game for everyone in the stands watching and for those playing.

“We were more excited than nervous to face West because of the rivalry we have going with them,” Turner said.

“It was great beating West the last four years, and it was actually one of the best games we’ve played in a long time, which made it a great cross town classic,” Hawkins said.

Football story pic