Wrestlers prepare for season; new girls team this year

Duncan Ordenana, Staff Reporter

The Tracy High wrestling team is preparing for new season and a new girls wrestling team. Coach Jonathan Blackwell is in his third year as the varsity head coach.

Jonathan Blackwell

— With more section championships and state medalist in this sport than any other in school history, we have a lot of work to do.

The team lost many seniors and good wrestlers. There are only four returning seniors, so the team will be very young.

“There are a lot of first time wrestlers and freshmen, so it will be a learning experience type of year,” junior Cameron Haynes said.

“We lost a lot of seniors who were qualifiers for sections and masters,” senior Luis Segura said.

Segura is one of the few returners who made it to sub-sections last season.

“I’m excited for the upcoming tournaments and continuing on with my brothers to sections and possibly further,” Segura said.

“We all try to be the best we can be, but the team isn’t as good as before but we all work hard,” senior Alex Lopez said.

This will be Lopez’s fourth year wrestling, and  he has high hopes for the season.

“My goal for the season is to go to state and be the best I can be.

This season also brings a new challenge for the wrestling coaches as there are five girls trying out. There has never been a separate girls wrestling team at Tracy High.

“There are a couple girls trying out this year,” Coach Blackwell said. “They have shown a lot of dedication so far. It will be interesting to see how they compete.”

“We have had a few girls in the past, but this will be the first time there is a all girl team,” Blackwell said. “This is the fastest growing sport in America right now,”

There are six girls, and, for most it, will be their first time wrestling.

“It seemed fun and I thought it would be a good way to stay in shape,” senior Emily Simons said.

Blackwell hopes for success from both teams.

The first practice was Nov. 9, and the first event will be the TCAL/SJAA Novice meet at Lodi High on Nov. 28.

The first varsity meet will be The Falcon Dual Shootout at Freedom High in Oakley on Dec. 5.