“Sheets for Kids” project changes lives for local foster children

Johnson decorates donation boxes for bed sheet collections.

Courtney Vasquez, Staff Reporter

Throughout the years, in the Ag Science Academy, the senior class has taken on senior projects based on topics they have picked themselves, and presented their work in the second semester of their senior year. These projects have ranged from teaching a class and raising awareness about Down Syndrome to training an ordinary dog to become a service dog.

This year, senior Conner Johnson has put together a senior project that helped the foster children in Tracy. His project, “Sheets for Kids”, has had an impact on the lives of these children, and it was a great success.

“I collected printed bed sheets for a foster organization to put in cases that are full of everyday objects that the kids need, and bed sheets were one of the items they never had enough of,” Johnson said.

The project took about a month of planning, and a month of collecting the items that were needed. Johnson was more than happy to help these kids since he has had his own experiences with them in his life.

“My family has been taking in foster kids for about five years now, and I saw firsthand what they went through and what they needed, so I wanted to help them,” Johnson said.

While this may have seemed like a simple task, Johnson faced some challenges that came throughout the process.

“The challenge was trying to figure out how to get the word out about my project, but social media helped with this, and more sheets were donated later on,” Johnson said.

With the help of social media, friends, and family, Johnson’s senior project turned out to be quite a success. He collected 180 sheets for 180 kids in the foster homes around town, and his project was even featured on a local newscast, Good Day Sacramento, on CBS 13.

gooddaysacramento.cbslocal.com/video/category/spoken-word-good-day/3291235-case-for-kids-sheets/

By the end of his project for the foster children of Tracy, Johnson found that this helped him learn many more things about himself, and helping others in need.

I saw that people in the community are willing to help others, and if you’re doing something for a good cause, there are good people out there who are willing to help you,

— Johnson

Although it took a lot of hard work and planning to put such a successful project together, Johnson enjoyed helping many others in need, and it was a great way to give back to the community.

“Overall, it was a humbling experience to be able to help collect things that these kids needed,” Johnson said.

Sheets for kids 2015