Tracy High’s hour of coding

Tracy High students learning about coding after school

Elias Amos, Staff Reporter

The Tracy High math teachers are opened their classrooms after school this week for students to learn about coding. A few of these teachers included: Dominique Banner, Elizabeth Castello, David Daily, Ryan Hern, Phil Kalis, Charles Lunetta, Richard Newton, Michelle Pereira, Doug Piuser, and Kathy Teixeira

Coding involves writing, designing, testing, debugging, and maintain the source code of computers.

“We want to promote coding by doing the sessions so that students will be more interested,” Newton said.

Lunetta originally thought of the idea for these coding sessions.

We are trying to get another intro course for computer programming approved by the district

— Charles Lunetta

“With these sessions it makes the students more likely to sign up for the course if it gets approved, but to the students must have at least a C or better in Algebra 1 to take the class,” Lunetta said.

Tracy High junior Lisette Valencia attended this after school opportunity.

“One thing I found interesting about coding was that it felt like I was playing a video game,” Valencia said. “Within that hour you learn how to code by playing games and puzzles set up on a computer program.”

This after school activity was available to all students who are interested in coding.

“This is a great activity for beginners, it’s super easy. I suggest that students take advantage of this great opportunity,” Valencia said.

Coding opens up doors for jobs that students can excel in, such as working for a tech company, banking, account specialists, etc. These lines of work are not a common career choice, but are beneficial because of the pay. Software developers make an average of $92,660 a year. Other jobs, such as computer programmers make over $100,000 a year on average.

The coding sessions were 7 a.m. to 8 a.m., and 3:02 p.m. to 4:02 p.m., Dec. 7-11. Sessions are held in rooms: A101, A103, A104, A106, A108, A109, A110, A111, and A113.