Q + A: Art teacher Thomas Coupe

Regine Manuel

Thomas Coupe poses with his students’ artwork.

Regine Manuel, Staff Reporter

Since he was a little kid, Thomas Coupe always had a passion for art. At five years old, he figured out his talent of drawing and has been using it since. Coupe is an art teacher at Tracy High, hoping to bring out the creative aspect in his students.

Any hobbies? What do you do in your down time? “Mostly art. I’m trying to learn Spanish because my daughter has been going to Mexico building homes for the poor.”

Is being a teacher something you wanted to do all your life? “No, I used to work as a blue collar worker, then I was in construction management. My wife told me to go into teaching, so I went back to school to get my degrees.”

What do you love most about your job? “I love being able to do art.”

Where did you go to college? “California State Hayward, East Bay.”

What did you study in college? “I first got my business degree, then art degree, then my masters in education.”

What did you want to grow up to be when you were a kid? “I’ve always wanted to be an artist.”

When did you start drawing? “I knew when I was five, I feel like it’s a talent that you’re born with. I loved doing paint by numbers as a child.”

What’s the best thing about teaching art? “Seeing all the good artists and artwork that students create.”

Any advice for students? “If you go into visual arts, go to an art college. Get as much education you need for what you want to be.”

Tell me something your students are going to learn this year? “Depends on the class. The main things is for them to develop art skills and knowledge about past artists, artists styles, and art in different periods of time.”