Tracy High students perform in ‘Seussical’ at Grand Theatre

Lacey O'Neal, Staff Reporter

The Grand Theatre on Central Avenue in Tracy is showcasing the infamous, family-friendly “Seussical” from May 20-22. Tickets are $18 each for shows at 1 p.m. and 7 p.m.

This musical is based on famous Dr. Seuss books including, “Horton Hears a Who,” “Miss Gertrude McFuzz,” and “Horton Hatches an Egg”. To add to the excitement of the show, it features a multitude of Tracy High students, senior Dave Money, senior Hannah Lampkin, sophomore Brayden Willis, and more.

In the story “Horton Hears a Who”, Money and Willis are two of the three Wickersham brothers, the bullies of the jungle.

According to Money, “The level set is a lot different; the tone of the play is a lot different too . . . [But] I think it’s going to turn out great.”

“Seussical” features performers ranging from age 10 to 40. Choreographers and professional directors in certain fields are trying to help bring the “Seussical” to its highest potential.

“This will be my eighth play total in a year and a half . . . and it’s a much fuller experience,” Willis said. “It is very challenging . . . and you can go anywhere from spending 10 to 20 minutes on a part that will be featured in the show for only two.”

This musical is not a Tracy High production and has a wider variety of ages and talent, including some professionals.

Lampkin, playing the character of Miss Gertrude McFuzz, said, “It’s extremely professional, we have just such a nice cast . . . the set is going to be beautiful . . . they have so much work put into [it].”

Hard work and determination will show when the musical is presented in May.

It is expected to bring a full house and make people, “want to come and see it again, I mean, who wouldn’t want to see Dr. Seuss again?” Money said.

The overall reaction is foreseen to be joyful and make people laugh; the characters bring humor and are very one-sided, making it really funny.

By being a component in this play, Lampkin said, “I think it’s really helping me as a performer . . . and just shown me how much talent there really is out there.”

Having major parts in this musical has shown students a different light of theater production. The roles are much more challenging, since singing and acting are key components, but in the end, everyone will be giving their all and pull off a fantastic performance.

Other Tracy High students in the play are: Gavin Bean, Abigail Boguhn, Kayla McCarthy, Sydney McCarthy, Darcy Paris, Stephanie Reinheimer, Billy Shaddix, Mads Silveria, and Elizabeth Whittemore.