Boys’ swim heads into league championships

Tracy+High+swim+team+poses+for+a+group+team+picture.+

Photo360

Tracy High swim team poses for a group team picture.

Sanya Sandhu, Staff Reporter

We have not had a team as large as this one and as well versed as this years. I truly believe along with other swimmers that this is the year we can win league and embed ourselves in Tracy High swim history

— Nathan Hu

Tracy’s boys’ swim team is going strong as they placed third in league, behind Lodi and Lincoln, meanwhile competing with other schools including St. Mary’s, Tokay, and West.

“As of now, the team is looking extremely strong. We have one of the largest teams we have ever had and are contenders to win the Tri-City Athletic League (TCAL) championships,” Nathan Hu, varsity swimmer, said.

Yet it is evident that Lodi poses the greatest threat to Tracy’s boys’ swim team at the championship meet.

“Tracy’s biggest competition as of now in the league would definitely be Lodi, they have a huge team, so they are doing quite well,” Coach Julie Verwijst said.

In order to defeat their competition, Tracy will continue to practice and train competitively.

“Swimming involves a lot of speed work, aerobic and anaerobic, which all help with how we carry speed throughout a race, so we will definitely be focusing on improving these aspects during practices,” Preston Tsang, varsity swimmer, said.

“In terms of practice, we have been clocking thousands of yards every day in preparation for every meet. This has kept us ready and with minimal rest. When the big event comes with a little rest, we will be ready and all the work will have paid off,” Hu said.

Besides persevering at the championship meets, there are many more goals the team encompasses both as a team and as individuals.

“We hope to place better overall in the league standings and have as many swimmers as possible be able to attend the Sac-Joaquin Section meet,” Coach Verwijst said.

“My individual goals includes placing top five in Sac-Joaquin Section meet for 100 breast, and as a team to win TCAL league champs,” Tsang said.

“Personally, I am just looking to enjoy my last moments swimming as a senior. I have done the sport for a long time and look forward to end the season with some best times and putting up the suit once I head to college,” Hu said.

“As a team, I would say our primary goal is to win league championships. We have not had a team as large as this one and as well versed as this years. I truly believe along with other swimmers that this is the year we can win league and embed ourselves in Tracy High swim history,” Hu said.

Regardless of the outcome, these athletes have developed and excelled as a result of participation in this sport.

“I have seen a great improvement over the season with times dropping and skills improving in new and returning swimmers. I’ve also seen a sense of accomplishment in the athletes for they know they can and have worked hard and improved over the course of the season,” Coach Verwijst said.

“I have been swimming for quite some time, and a few of the greatest things it has taught are comradery and perseverance,” Hu said. “The many hours spent in a pool staring at a black line are not the easiest and having to face the grueling pain of hours of training without music or any distractions to ease the pain has definitely taught me a lot about patience and perseverance.”

The final league standing for Tracy will be decided at the league championship on  April 29 and 30, at Tokay High School.