Diving has a fun and exciting season

Emily Simons, Staff Reporter

As the season comes to a close, the diving team is having more fun than ever. With an energetic feel to the team, it provides a nice and judgment free way to participate in a high school sport.

“This is definitely one of the more fun, less competitive sports at Tracy High,” senior Alex Lopez said. “There is definitely a calming and fun vibe to this team, and I think that is really important for a sport to have.”

Even though they do compete against other schools, the coach is focused more on the health of the athletes and if they are enjoying themselves, rather than the overall competitive aspect of the sport.

“While having fun as a key piece to the enjoyment to the athletes, motivation is also a big factor,” Coach Dominique Banner said.

I feel that the motivation to do well has to come from within us as individuals since we do not have a very large team.

— Luis Segura, senior

“Motivation and practice are key aspects to being on this team, because diving is a smaller group of athletes, compared to the other sports like swimming,” Banner said.

This will be their last season of diving in high school. Although neither plan on diving in college, they both believe that diving was not only a large part of their high school career, but a great opportunity

“I’m really happy that I chose to do diving because I made so many friends, and I have a great time,” Segura said. “While it may not be that competitive, the team encourages each other and it creates a really great environment.”

Only Lopez has placed in the top three at a meet. He placed second at a meet on April 26. Tracy’s next meet is at St. Mary’s for sectionals on May 6.