Boys’ tennis heads into section competition

Wayne Thallander

Senior Eric Louwerens gets ready to swing to return the oncoming ball, on March 14 at the Kimball game.

Sarah Branstetter, Staff Reporter

The boys’ tennis team has been progressing throughout the season, but this season is coming to a quick end and the coach and boys make reflections. However, the team still has a chance to make sections and will pursue it all the way.

The team has played well in league with a third place standing, a record of 8-4, and sections looks promising.

“We have played consistently well as a united team in both our wins and our losses,” senior Matthew Nguyen said.

The team has been playing very well this season, coming close to beating some of the top teams in the league, such as Lincoln

— Adeel Hussaini

,” senior Adeel Hussaini said.

“The team is doing well in league and it is close to going to sections if we win our next few games,” Hussaini said.

The team has worked hard throughout practices to better its technique and bond as a team.

“Not only have they improved their tennis skills through drills and practice, but they’ve improved their tennis knowledge which makes them smarter players on the court and improves their overall game,” coach Patrick O’Brien said.

“We bond as a team by watching each other play matches and cheering all of our teammates on,” Hussaini said.

“They always tried to make the best of whatever position they played or the situation they were in,” O’Brien said. “No complaining.”

However, the team still struggles with a few things.

“The team struggles with attitude,” senior Eric Louwerens said, “They often let their anger take over their focus to play the game.”

This is the last year on the team for seniors and tennis has made an impact on both their lives and the coach’s.

“As sad as it is to lose the seniors, it’s great knowing a new group will be coming behind them, and I’ll get to see them grow for the next four years,” O’Brien said.

“This season meant a lot,” Louwerens said, “I’ve come so far, and it means a lot to be one of the senior leaders on the team.”

“As a senior, this last season made me get closer to my teammates and develop a deeper respect for the coaches and the game,” Hussaini said.

“I’ve been grateful to have been apart of the team for all four years,” Nguyen said, “I’ll definitely miss the practices and the feeling of winning a close match with the team.”

“My goal is to have the kids get a little better each year and make it enjoyable for them so they’ll come back the next year and also to continue to play once they graduate from high school,” O’Brien said.