Are New Year’s Resolutions Still Popular?

Photo Courtesy of spacecollective.org

Photo Courtesy of spacecollective.org

Isabella Capri, Editor

New Years. The time for new beginnings and new aspirations.

Over the years, New Year’s resolutions have been popular all across the globe. Are they still popular?

Devan Rose is a current senior at Tracy High School and she does not maintain a New Year’s resolution each year.

“I don’t have a New Year’s resolution because I feel like I will lose my motivation and not stick to it,” said Rose.

Many people can relate to Rose in that New Year’s resolutions can become unreasonable.

Though, there are the beliefs that a resolution can better an individual’s motivation for a better lifestyle.

“I believe they’re popular because most people want to have a goal for the new year to improve themselves,” said Rose when asking her is she thinks that New Year’s resolutions are still popular.

Robin Farian, another current senior at Tracy High School, has similar ideas about New Year’s Resolutions.

“I usually don’t make New Year’s resolutions because I don’t think you need a new year to start over or make a change in your life. You can do that whenever you want or whenever you need,” said Farian when asking her why she doesn’t have a New Year’s resolution.

Farian’s remarks are very inspirational for those that ponder whether or not they want a New Year’s resolution. Farian may not usually have a resolution, but does she think that they are still popular?

“I think it’s still a popular thing to talk about, but no one really seriously considers what they want to change about their life anymore. They seem to just choose something easy and then break it within a month,” said Farian.

Well, their you have it folks. New Year’s resolutions do not seem to be as popular as they once were. Though, there are still individuals that strive for a better year and maintain some sort of resolution. Each year brings new opportunities and goals, the most important part is to enjoy each day as they come.