• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper
  • Email for newspaper adviser - Brandon Red, [email protected]
  • Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360
The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Tracy High’s Feature Twirler: Emma Sawin

Emma Sawin, a junior at Tracy High School, is known for being the school’s feature twirler. After coming back from a successful national competition in Canada, Sawin gives some insight in her journey as a young, upcoming baton twirler at just 16 years old.

Sawin started baton twirling when she was only two years old. Starting off, the routines she learned were simple like basic marching, contrary to now where she learns multiple different routines. Sawin decided to join the competitive baton twirling world when she was five and has moved her way up since.

At the Pan Pacific competition in Calgary, Canada Sawin placed in gold and silver in the junior age division. Countries like Canada, Japan and USA were participants in this event, so this made her accomplishments an even bigger deal.

Sawin’s coach, Kellie Donovan Perelman, is partially responsible for everything she has achieved, when asked about her experience coaching Sawin she makes note of her growth over the years.

“She has made leaps and bounds in improvements just since last season,” Perelman commented.

Apart from the competitive side of twirling, a key aspect in her life is being Tracy High’s featured twirler. Sawin will be seen performing at Friday night lights or at the school’s rallies, this being one of her favorite parts of twirling.

“I’m a huge performer and I love to feel the crowd and its energy when I’m out there,” Sawin said.

Previously to being a solo performer, Sawin twirled with her older sister, Julia Sawin. That experience really pushed Sawin to be the best she could, since her sister helped her train hard. Even though she enjoys her independence in twirling, the times with her sister were memorable since she sees her as an inspiration.

As an older sister and previous partner Julia Sawin feels proud seeing everything her sister has done.

“Now being in college and watching my little sister thrive as the feature twirler for Tracy High makes me so proud of everything she has accomplished,” Sawin said.

Besides the physical lessons Sawin has learned as a twirler, she has also learned a lot of mental lessons that she applies to her day-to-day life.

“When something doesn’t go my way, or I’m frustrated I know I just have to keep working,” Sawin expressed.

Sawin is a key example that with hard work you can achieve great things. She advises that repetition is key and hard work is success to anything.