Parking Issues at Tracy High School

A view of the new lot from the “box.”

Camilla Wiench, Staff Reporter

Throughout Tracy High School, finding parking in the morning is an issue that has plagued students ever since they could start driving on their own. With a large number of students and new drivers that keep piling, finding a place to park becomes more and more tedious throughout the school year.

Devan Rose, a senior at Tracy High gets to THS at 7 am when she drives just to get a decent spot. Many students who arrive later find themselves parking in a far off neighborhood and walking to school.

“It’s too crowded in the parking lots and there should be more space,” Rose said.

Last year there were several incidents of students getting parking tickets for parking anywhere their car will fit to be able to attend class on time.

Megan Bernard, also a senior at Tracy High, gets here at 7 am and parks in front of A building. She arrives at this time because she would hear everyone last year complain about parking. She doesn’t have much issue parking when arriving that early but agrees that parking is an issue because there are too many students for the amount of space.

According to district staff, a lumber yard in front of the campus was recently purchased with funding from reimbursement from the state of California and the owners being willing to sell.

“It was originally a small campus that has grown tremendously… both in acreage and in student population. In addition, the number of residents who own cars has changed dramatically.” according to Dr. Casey Goodall, the district assistant superintendent for business services.

As Tracy High opened over 100 years ago, many problems that we are faced with were not the same when the land was acquired. With the rise in new technology and industry ever developing, we are faced with new issues to problem solve with a changing world.

“If we were building the school now, we would obtain a much larger piece of property,” said Dr. Goodall.