Administration responds quickly to gun on campus

A simulated check of a students backpack

A simulated check of a student’s backpack

Wamil Juthani, Staff Reporter

Tracy High school students portrayed a calm and collected demeanor when the “gun on campus” rumor was spreading around the school on August 29. A student was arrested in the afternoon for bringing an unloaded weapon to school.

“We found out about the gun during the end of second lunch,” Tracy High Principal Jason Noll said. “A student brought a gun to school without any ammunition.”

“The principal was informed after the the school resource officer (SRO) was informed,” Assistant Principal, Rashmi Ahuja said. “A student found out about the gun and informed the SRO about it.”

The SRO, principal, security guard identified the student, went to his class, and took the student from the class.

“I saw the whole thing happen,” student, Brenda Lopez said. “They had everything under control, but while I was trying to get to class, I saw the student in custody and found out that he had a gun! It was a very scary experience.”

“I found out about the gun after they had the student in custody,” Science Teacher Jon Waggle said. “Though this didn’t alarm me any less, knowing that a student brought a gun on campus for some reason is still very scary.”

“The job was done well,” Noll said. “It was pretty incredible how we found out about the gun and had the student in custody within exactly 12 minutes.”

After having the student in custody, Noll went onto the Tracy High school Facebook page and wrote a post about the incident. He then sent a voice-recorded message to students’ homes to explain the incident.

“The reason why the student brought the gun to school was not known,” Ahuja said, “The staff handled the situation pretty well and so it was more of a moment of pride.”

This isn’t the first time a student brought a gun to school, two years ago a student brought a gun to school. There were bomb threats in the Tracy Unified School District and two of the threats were at Tracy High.