Tracy High School Students Balancing School and Work

Senior Danielle Corell sporting her work uniform before a long shift.

After much controversy and debate the Tracy Unified School District decided against returning back to on-campus learning. There are many opposing views between the students, teachers, and even parents. As all high school students attending Tracy High will continue to take part in online distance learning, it raises concerns for the work load and balancing a job.

There are numerous amounts of students who manage a job while balancing school and a new take on workloads. Danielle Corell, 17, a senior at Tracy High School has commented on this topic stating, “It’s not for everyone. And it’s not an easy thing to do either, especially depending on the work load. Having a job while balancing school teaches students better life management skills, how to be independent, and responsibility…” As many students have a positive outlook on this challenge, others struggle with a more negative view.

John Mello, a senior attending Tracy High School has commented on the daily challenges not only him, but other students face daily. Being on campus would provide a work experience class to help balance the workload and time management better. Unfortunately for class of 2021 this would not be the case. Online distancing learning requires hands on the computer from the morning veering into the afternoon. This impacts a students work schedule, where they go to make money for college and future plans.

Another senior at Tracy High School, Ciara Lucas has a very strong opinion on balancing a job at this age. “Having a job started off as a want but now it is definitely a need. I need my job to make my car payments, pay for gas, and prepare me for college. At this age it is important to have a job because it has taught me how to be an independent woman and face the real world of multitasking school, sports, and work”. A handful of students rely on their jobs to provide for their future plans, and for their day-to-day expenses.

Overall there are opposing views on balancing school and work during this time. The pandemic  has created a world of wonders for many students. The most important variable that this comes down to revolves are the idea that school comes first and a job comes second. Prioritizing responsibilities is a valuable lesson that these students have learned from such a young age.