Ag. Science Academy hosts pumpkin patch for elementary students

Haleigh Vinyard

Ag. Science student helps elementary student apply a temporary tattoo

Haleigh Vinyard, Staff Reporter

Tracy High School Agricultural/Scientific Academy (Ag. Academy) invited Villalovoz Elementary School second graders and St. Bernard’s Elementary School first graders to the annual Ag. Academy pumpkin patch.

Ag. teacher Laura Kelley has been in charge of this event for the past seven years. The pumpkin patch includes Halloween-themed games: a hay maze, bean bag toss, coloring, mini golf, fishing for candy, tattoos, and pin the nose on the pumpkin. When young students leave they receive a goodie bag along with a pumpkin.

“For the kids to come and do all of this costs the school $5 per student,” Kelley said. “We charge this to cover the cost of the pumpkins and prizes. We do not do this to turn a profit.”

Ag. Academy students help run this event. To participate they are asked to come to two meetings after school to help plan. On the day of the event, students spend their day helping run the event.

High school students that help run the event dressed in costumes to increase the feel of it being a pumpkin patch.

Senior Matthew Simonich, dressed as a cowboy, helped run the fishing for candy station and the hay maze. This is his first year being a part of the actual pumpkin patch and interacting with the kids.

“It was fun working with the kids,” Simonich said. “It is better than working behind the scenes. It was more satisfying seeing the children’s smiling faces.”

Simonich has been a part of Ag. Academy since his freshman year and is now vice president of Tracy High’s FFA Chapter. In college he wants to pursue an agriculture business degree, with that he hopes to run his own livestock ranch and farm.

Senior Shelby Coggins participated in the pumpkin patch this year dressed as a pirate. This was her fourth year helping with the pumpkin patch.

“It is fun working with kids, you get to hang loose and meet new people,” Coggins said.

Coggins has been a part Ag. Academy for four years. She hopes to become a veterinary technician. Coggins is the Treasurer of Tracy High’s FFA Chapter.

The pumpkin patch allows the Ag. Academy to give back to the community and have fun doing it.

“The point of the pumpkin patch is to provide a fun experience for younger students,” Kelley said.