Parent-teacher conferences set for October 21

Principal Jason Noll and Assistant Principal Lynn Dell Hawkins discuss parent-teacher conferences.

Isabelle Milburn

Isabelle Milburn, Staff Reporter

The first quarter of the school year has come to an end. What does that mean? Parent-teacher conferences are around the corner.

Parent-teacher conferences will be held on Monday, Oct. 21, starting at 12 p.m. and ending at 7 p.m. Lunch break for teachers will be from 3:40 p.m. to 4:20 p.m. Students will not have school on this day.

Parents can’t make appointments with teachers. When parents come to the school, they will pick up their student’s report card, and then meet with teachers.

Parents will talk with the teacher for five minutes, longer if no other parents are waiting to talk with that particular teacher.

Principal Jason Noll thinks that parent-teacher conferences are very important.

“Parents can talk to teachers about extra needs for their students. It is good for parents to be concerned and involved in their students’ lives,” Noll said.

Noll believes that parent-teacher conferences can help improve students’ grades.

“I think it helps because the parents can learn what the teacher is looking for and expecting,” Noll said.

Head counselor, Jessica Escobedo agrees with Noll.

“It’s a good time for the parents to connect with teachers and see how the students are doing. It gives them an idea if students need extra help. Teachers are able to give feedback,” Escobedo said.

Escobedo believes that parent-teacher conferences have the potential to help with grades as well.

“Parent-teacher conferences could possibly help with students grades. I think with technology, the way it is, parents have access to grades daily, so they’re already on top of grades. I think the follow through with teachers is what’s important,” Escobedo said.

English Department Chairman and Freshman English teacher Gary Henderson thinks that parent-teacher conferences are very beneficial.

“It gives parents the opportunity to be actively involved in their children’s education. It’s important, especially at a high school level when there are so many kids, it’s hard to get to know them and learn their individual needs,” Henderson said.

Not only does he think their beneficial for communication purposes, but he believes they can help with grades.

“It certainly has that potential because you have another adult holding them accountable. It helps keep the student honest. They have a number of eyes watching and communicating,” Henderson said.

Richard Newton, math department chairman and Advanced Algebra II teacher, also believes that parent-teacher conferences are beneficial.

“I think any communication between students, parents and teachers is good for the students and parent-teacher conferences can help establish or improve communication,” Newton said. “I also think it helps the Tracy High community connect more with the Tracy community and those connections are beneficial to our young people.”

Newton thinks that parent-teacher conferences can help improve students’ grades.

“I think parent-teacher conferences can have a positive impact on grades, absolutely,” Newton said. “I feel that the most important factor in a student’s education is parent and teacher involvement. Parent-teacher conferences can focus and improve that involvement.”