Distinguished Young Women of Tracy seek applicants for this year’s competition

Last years contestants wait for the announcement of the Distinguished young Women of Tracy winner in April of 2013.

Last year’s contestants wait for the announcement of the Distinguished young Women of Tracy winner in April of 2013.

Hayley Nunes, Staff Reporter

The Distinguished Young Women (DWY) is a national scholarship program that promotes and rewards scholarship, leadership and talent in young women. It allows the girls to create new friendships, get self-confidence, a shoot for a successful future.

In Tracy, each of the three high schools come together for the competition to see which girl can go to the state level.

Tammy Johnson and Patty Knapp are in charge of the Distinguished Young Women competition in Tracy. The actual program starts on April 26, at 7:30 p.m. at the Kimball High School District theatre.

To be able to participate in the program, girls have to be attending a Tracy Unified high school or reside in Tracy, be a junior and have a minimum is grade point average of 3.0.

“We are looking for that well rounded girl,” Knapp said.

The major goal is to give scholarships to distinguished young women in Tracy.

“We give out seven scholarships in varying amounts,” Knapp said.

Girls who participate in the program can earn scholarships for scholastics, talent, fitness, and for self-expression.

The final due date for all applications are Feb. 25. On the same day, rehearsals start and will continue weekly on Sundays until the week of the show. Rehearsals will be held on Thursday and Friday the week of the show. The day of the competition is April 26.

The overall winner of the Distinguished Young Women of Tracy will go onto compete in the state level with more scholarship to be awarded.

“The state winner has an opportunity to go to nationals and earn even more scholarships,” Knapp said.

Last year, four girls represented Tracy High School. The four girls were Lindsey Raaker, Melissa Clark, Ashlie Rodgers, and Elizabeth Higa.

Two of the four girls, Clark and Raaker, agree that this event is a once in a lifetime experience.

“I learned that I can do anything I set my mind to, and there are tons of opportunities in town; you just have to be willing to take them,” Clark said.

Clark believed that there was definitely some great benefits from this it event. She felt it was a great opportunity to step outside of her comfort zone and made new friends.

Clark chose to participate in the event because she volunteered with the program when she was little, and it was always her dream to participate.

Clark recommends the DYW program to other girls because it’s a once in a lifetime experience.

Raaker feels the same way. Raaker believes the benefits of participating in the event was a great way to meet other girls with similar interests and values. It also built up her confidence.

“I originally participated because my sister’s friend told me that I would enjoy it,” Raaker said. “It also is a good way to potentially win scholarship money for college.”

She never expected to enjoy it as much as she did. She made new friends and made new memories she won’t forget.

“I would recommend the program to any junior girl should partake in this program and unites girls with all different types of interests,” Raaker said.

The last day to turn in your application for the DYW program is Feb. 25. The applications are available in the counseling office in the A building. On the application form there are numbers of the two women that are in charge. Their numbers are posted below and after completing the application, you must email your application to [email protected]. After your form is filled out, turn it in to the counseling office to Mrs. Arce.