Tracy High’s Key Club hosts Awake-a-thon fundraiser

Photo courtesy of Brian Musich

Students in the Key Club play a game of Twister during their Awake-a-thon fundraiser.

Clayton Walker, Staff Reporter

Tracy High’s Key Club recently hosted an Awake-a-thon on Feb. 21, to raise money for their sponsor UNICEF, or the United Nations Children’s Fund. Students came to the campus after hours, $6, and stayed up all night long playing video games and watching movies. The proceeds were given to UNICEF.

The Awake-a-thon was not the Key Club’s first time hosting a fundraiser. The Key Club is a student- led national organization that can be found in high schools all across the country. The club gives members opportunities to build character and develop leadership as well as help their communities.

“Twenty one people showed up for the Awake-a-thon which was awesome,” Key Club President Sofia Pino said. “In total we raised $126 for Unicef that will help the community, and all what we really did was eat pizza and listen to music all night.”

One of the goals for students that participate in the Awake-a-thon is to stay awake from six at night to six in the morning. This was difficult for some of the students that participated in the Awake-a-thon.

“I told myself I would stay up all night, and for a while it worked,” Key Club Vice President Salma Price said, “but after a while my eyes just got heavier and heavier, and without realizing it I nodded off to sleep.”

Unicef is a global organization that fights to give children better lives. They strive to give children educations, place children in safe environments, give children vaccines, and prevent HIV/Aids.

“The cool thing about the Awake-a-thon is that we are helping the community, while having fun at the same time,” Key Club Adviser Brian Musich said.

With the help of the ‘Awake-a-thon’ and Unicef, children throughout our community will be given a head start in life.