Final construction of Tracy High to be completed in August

Clayton Walker

The progress that has been made on remodeling the theater.

Clayton Walker, Staff Reporter

Tracy High School is undergoing its final stages of construction. Since 2007 the entire campus has been remodeled including everything from the football field to the B building. All that remains to remodel is the agriculture department, Emma Baumgardner Theater, and the weight room.

The theater needs to be brought up to par with the American Disability Act (ADA). There are going to be new restrooms in the lobby which will be easily accessible for the handicapped. There will be the same number of seats as before.

The construction phase has hindered drama teacher Jose Ortiz and his drama students.

“The construction phase has affected our after school plays. The students don’t have a stage to practice on and are stuck rehearsing in the portables,” Ortiz said.

Not having a theater makes this a difficult time for the drama students; however, they know that it is for the best.

“I have been taking drama since I was a freshman, and I really want the new theater,” junior Lorenzo Lucero said. “I can’t wait to just walk inside of there once the construction is finished and look around.”

The agriculture department will have three classrooms remodeled. These classrooms will also be ADA compliant, and are said to resemble those in the A building.

In the weight room, the classroom has been removed from the weight room and this will provide greater space for the students to exercise. ADA compliant bathrooms will be provided as well as new paint.

Tracy High School used to be the oldest campus in the region, and now it is one of the newest and most beautiful campuses.

“During passing period, whenever I walk from class to class, I think to myself that our school looks like a college campus,” freshman Mario Marques said.

“The community believed in the kids enough to put money into the school,” Assistant Principal Joni McGinnis said. “The community has invested in a future being built for the next generation. It pleases me to see students take pride in their campus and take care of it.”

The construction is set to be done one week before the new school year starts.