Class of 2014 ready to graduate on May 31

Tracy High senior Kaeli Vierra receives her cap and gown from Jostens.

Maxine Almendra, Staff Reporter

Tracy High’s class of 2014 graduation will take place on Saturday, May 31 at Wayne Schneider Stadium at 9 a.m. Students will receive 10 tickets each to the event.

Assistant principal Joni McGinnis has mixed feelings about the big day.

“It’s sad and exciting,” McGinnis said. It’s sad because I’ve watched the kids grow and now they’re leaving. It’s also exciting because they’re going to go out and make a difference in the world.”

McGinnis feels it’s not just about graduating, but the future of the students after high school.

“It’s also exciting because they’re going to go out and make a difference in the world. They can go far, or hopefully just get farther than just Tracy,” McGinnis said. “Whatever trade, craft, or job school you want to go to, but that you make it successful where you go.”

The class of 2014 stood out for its dedication and unique successes.

“The class of 2014 was most memorable for how excited and hardworking they were as a whole. This whole class stood out in their own way, in things like Academic Decathlon, Mock Trial, Football had an awesome year, and softball,” McGinnis said. “The class had excellence in sports and a lot of students signed up for International Baccalaureate testing this year. Everyone has had their own amount of success.”

While a big event such as graduation would make most principals nervous, it doesn’t scare McGinnis one bit.

“I don’t have any fears about graduation day because over the past few years we’ve put on a great show. I think that graduation is a show. It’s to cap off the success of high school and it’s the perfect icing on the cake,” McGinnis said. “I don’t have any fears because we have a great security team and a group of kids that will, hopefully, be well-behaved. There will be some that will try to be silly, but graduation isn’t about clowning around.”

McGinnis has no tolerance for senior pranks during graduation, and considers it a formal event.

“Graduation is about your families and friends that come, with a ticket of course, in the stands waiting to hear your name and see you cross the stage. It’s not about seeing a beach ball flying around. That’s not funny to me because it’s not a part of the show. It’s a very class act,” McGinnis said.

A majority of the senior class is graduating, but there is still a few who didn’t quite make it, according to McGinnis.

“I don’t know a definite number of seniors not graduating, but there are a few kids I know that are not, due to not getting the grades they need. The diploma has to stand for something, and it has to be earned by completing the four years of high school,” McGinnis said.

A senior student can lose the right to walk with the rest of the class on graduation by having overdue fines, Saturday school hours, or poor grades.

“The most common reason for kids not to graduate is not fines or Saturday School, it comes down to grades,” McGinnis said.

Senior Hunter Lew summed up the attitude of every high school student’s feelings toward graduation.

“These past four years have been an amazing experience, but I’m happy it’s over and we can move on with our lives,” Lew said.

Senior Regine Manuel is also excited to move on from high school.

“I’m excited about graduation because I get to leave high school and go to college where I’ll gain new life experiences,” Manuel said.

Besides just the announcing of graduate names, the graduation will consist of a commencement speaker, singing of the national anthem, and announcement of special awards.

The Tracy High Madrigals choir will be performing the national anthem, and the valedictorian and salutatorian will be announcing the senior names to receive their diplomas.

McGinnis is set on keeping the speaker for the commencement speech a secret until graduation day.

“I can’t tell who is going to speak. It’s going to a surprise that everyone will have to wait for,” McGinnis said.

A special award to be announced on graduation day is the efficiency award.

“It is a really great award because no one except Principal Noll will know until it’s announced at graduation. It’s a huge honor,” McGinnis said.

Seniors don’t have it easy just yet. There are still rules to follow and things to keep in mind for graduation day.

“Seniors must report at 8 a.m. to the main gym. Girls should not wear high heeled shoes. We will not let girls onto the field if their heels are smaller than a quarter. Girls could trip and can make holes in the turf,” McGinnis said. “Also, don’t bring a whole bunch of stuff because no one is going to carry it. Just come in with your cap gown and tassel, and clothes underneath.”

Graduation tickets are usually a point of concern for students with big families and a lot of friends who want to attend the ceremony. The new stadium allows for more people to go to graduation.

“It’s a ticketed event, so if you don’t have a ticket, you don’t get in. Out of the 10 tickets, there are two rain tickets. If it rains only two tickets will get your friends and family in the gym because of fire code regulations,” McGinnis said.

This is the first class to graduate on the newly renovated Wayne Schneider Stadium.

“Last year we had graduation on the West High field, but now we can finally be on our home field. Tracy High is the Bulldog home,” McGinnis said.

Graduation is an exciting and bittersweet experience for both faculty and students. It’s a milestone in every Tracy High senior’s life. Even when graduates receive their diplomas and throw their caps in the air, they know that they will forever be a Bulldog.