Ag/Science juniors enjoy field trip to San Francisco

Ag/Sci juniors get ready to head over to Alcatraz Island on their field trip in San Francisco.

Jasmine Castillo

Jasmine Castillo, Staff Reporter

The Ag/Science juniors left at 6:15 a.m. on charter buses headed toward the bay for a day in San Francisco on Nov. 6. They began with a tour, complete with recorded audio, of Alcatraz Island then headed back to The City to spend the rest of the day at Pier 39.

“The purpose of this lesson was to enhance the students’ historic experience at Alcatraz Island,famously nicknamed ‘The Rock.'” Ag/Science Coordinator Micheal Woodward said.

The students enjoyed various parts of the trip.

“My favorite part of the field trip was the tour of the prison. I found everything about it interesting,” Sarah Kuczma said.

“I loved spending time with my fellow Aggies. I don’t get to see some very often, especially because some of them take IB classes now,” Destinee Delise said.

The students learned many new things on the Alcatraz tour.

“The guards weren’t allowed to have guns on the cell floors. Only in the ‘Gun Galley’ did the guards have weapons,” Kuczma said. “Yet, prisoners still found ways to attempt escape from the max security prison.”

“I can’t believe the prisoners managed to escape by digging through the walls with stolen spoons and creating ceramic heads to fool the guards,” Delise said.

Students had the opportunity to place themselves in a prisoner’s shoes and test out the prison cells.

“I went in one of the solitary confinement cells. I felt claustrophobic and scared,” Cameron Fuchs said.

All of the juniors went to different places on the pier for lunch.

“I went to Chowder’s for some delicious clam chowder,” Delise said.

“My friends and I waited for a long time to be seated at Boudin, but the clam chowder in the bread bowl was definitely worth it,” Kuczma said.

On the way back to Tracy High, some students took quick naps and woke up to the telling of anti-jokes. All smiled, laughed, and enjoyed each other’s company. The field trip was definitely one to remember for all Aggies.

“It was everything I expected and a lot more fun,” Delise and Kuczma both said.