• Follow our new twitter page: @tracyhighnews

• Follow our Instagram site: @tracyhighscholarandathlete for new and current updates

• The Tracy High Scholar & Athlete was inducted into the National Scholastic Press Association Newspaper Hall of Fame in 2002

• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper

• Email for newspaper adviser - Bond Cashmere, [email protected]

• Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360

• Tracy High is a California Distinguished School

The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Key Club and DIY Baby Blankets

Key+Club%E2%80%99s+seniors%2C+Huda+Nauman%2C+Abi+Pineda%2C+Errold+Alba%2C+and+Jenna+Valenzona+proudly+hold+the+blankets+they+created+to+donate+to+babies+in+need.+
Key Club’s seniors, Huda Nauman, Abi Pineda, Errold Alba, and Jenna Valenzona proudly hold the blankets they created to donate to babies in need.

Diana Reyes-Ruiz

Diana Reyes-Ruiz

Diana Reyes-Ruiz

Tracy High Key Club (Kiwanis Educational Youth), made “no-sew” blankets for the premature babies who were injured by trauma for our local hospitals on September 22nd. Injury is the #1 leading cause of death for children who are 14 years old or under in the United States and 90% of these deaths can be prevented by promoting injury prevention.

Key Club has fundraisers, like the annual Awake-a-thon, to raise money for the Pediatric Trauma Program (PTP) to provide families with essential equipment such as safety gates, baby cabinet locks, and other child-proof products. As a plus, club members gain valuable skills, community service hours and the genuine satisfaction that comes from giving a helping hand to those in need. “I believe that this is a great opportunity for our club members to partake in this opportunity and help out those who aren’t able to afford supplies for their babies”, said the President of Key Club, Huda Nauman.

Club members met in Mr. Musich’s classroom, A207, and got to work. “There are many ways to create a “no-sew” blanket especially since there are many tutorials on the internet, but this how-to is more simple to follow along”, Abigail Pineda explained. If you would like to pitch in and help the PTP by making these blankets, you can! Donate blankets by dropping them off to Mr. Musich, the club advisor, in room A207. They will then drop off the blankets to a local hospital such as Sutter, Kaiser, and St. Joseph’s. “The whole idea behind the club is to help people in general,” Mr. Musich, Key Club advisor, said. “No matter what type of help, we feel like we are doing our job.” Interested in joining Key Club or participating in some of their community service work? Join in their meetings every Thursday after school in classroom A207.