“The Visit” is not worth the hype

The Visit is not worth the hype

Emily Simons, Staff Reporter

“The Visit” a horror film can definitely not be recommended because it is just a plain horrible production.

“The Visit” is set in present day United States, where a pair of teenagers are travelling to connect with their estranged grandparents. With sudden turns and surprises around every corner, this short movie provides for a very confusing hour and a half for anybody watching.

The cinematography for this film could have been much better. Played off as a documentary mixed with a regular film, it was unclear at some parts which filming style was being presented. Along with this effect, the film quality itself was pixelated and the scenes transitioned much too quickly. The transitions between the scenes were something that seemed like a high school English class made, creating a very unprofessional vibe.

The actor selection was poor. The only person who fulfilled the role properly was Tyler, portrayed by Ed Oxenbould. As the constant comedic relief throughout this film, Oxenbould accurately fulfilled the character that was presented, as well as giving an impressionable effect long after the movie ended.

Claiming to be a horror film, it ended up being a really horrible comedy.

The predictability of this movie just helped to add to the horrid quality and cliché film choices. It was quite obvious what would occur next.

The sound effects throughout this film were greatly overused and made jump scare scenes predictable and cliché. The amount of cliché that this movie actually contained just helped to make it the absolute worst movie I have ever seen. This film could have made its own soundtrack to create a fresh and unnerving feel that the directors were going for, but instead they decided to use the exact same effects as every other horror film.

Claiming to be a horror film, it ended up being a really horrible comedy. Disgusting scenes take the viewer to a whole new level of repulsiveness. I’ll admit that I was unable to watch several scenes due to the revolting things that were appearing on the screen. An example is when the old man in the movie pushes a soiled diaper into a young boy’s face. To fix this, the directors and producers should have focused more on the “scary” parts than the comedic relief that was occurring far too often.

This film was absolutely awful, and I am disappointed that I paid to watch it. I would absolutely not recommend that anybody watch this movie. ”The Visit” it is just a waste of time and money.