• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper
  • Email for newspaper adviser - Brandon Red, [email protected]
  • Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360
The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

NBA Preseason Power Rankings

No. 1 Milwaukee Bucks 

Depth Chart:

G: Damian Lillard, Cam Payne, Andre Jackson Jr

G: Pat Connaughton, Malik Beasley, AJ Green

F: Khris Middleton, MarJon Beauchamp, Chris Livingston

F: Giannis Antetokounmpo, Jae Crowder, Thanasis Antetokounmpo

C: Brook Lopez, Bobby Portis, Robin Lopez

Giannis Antetokounmpo now has undoubtedly the best player he’s ever been teammates with, Damian Lillard. The Bucks acquired Lillard at the expense of NBA champion Jrue Holiday, as well as Grayson Allen and draft capital. Coming off a very disappointing season, they were beaten in five to the 8th seed Miami Heat, the Bucks had to make a drastic change in the offseason. Giannis threatened to not sign an extension unless something changed, and as superstar Damian Lillard was on the trade block, GM Jon Horst went all in. The Bucks have consistently been an amazing regular season team, finishing top five in the East for the past five seasons. They won the championship back in 2021, however, only six players remain from that championship team. Mike Budonholzer was cut as head coach following the defeat to the Heat in the playoffs, and former Raptors assistant coach, Adrian Griffin, was hired to fill the void. Dame now gets to chase the championship he was never able to bring to Portland, alongside the most talented player and team he has ever played with.

Season Prediction: 1st seed in the East

No. 2 Denver Nuggets

Depth Chart:

G: Jamal Murray, Reggie Jackson, Jalen Pickett

G: Kentavious Caldwell-Pope, Christian Braun, Justin Holiday

F: Michael Porter Jr, Peyton Watson, Hunter Tyson

F: Aaron Gordon, Julian Strawther, Vlatko Cancar

C: Nikola Jokic, Zeke Nnaji, DeAndre Jordan

The Denver Nuggets are fresh off an NBA championship, where they beat the 8th seed Miami Heat in five games. Nikola Jokic, who some say should have won his third MVP last season, will surely be in the MVP race again this season. The Nuggets did lose key pieces in the offseason, Bruce Brown and Jeff Green. However, with the star power of the starting five and champion experience of the roster, it should not be a determining factor. Denver is looking for young guys like Peyton Watson and Zeke Nnaji to step up, as well as rookies Julian Strawther and Jalen Pickett. The Nuggets have the ability to repeat, however it will be harder now that the West is stronger than ever, Milwaukee and Boston appear to be genuine contenders, and the bench is worse than last season.

Season Prediction: 1st seed in the West

No. 3 Boston Celtics

Depth Chart: 

G: Jrue Holiday, Payton Pritchard, Dalano Banton

G: Derrick White, Sam Hauser, Svi Mykhailiuk

F: Jaylen Brown, Lamar Stevens, Jordan Walsh

F: Jayson Tatum, Oshae Brissett, Nathan Knight

C: Kristaps Porzingis, Al Horford, Luke Kornet

The Boston Celtics had one hell of an offseason. They traded for all-star Kristaps Porzingis and all-defensive first team Jrue Holiday, losing key pieces Marcus Smart, Rob Williams, and Malcolm Brogdan in the process. But the Celtics now have one of the best starting fives in the league. Even though the bench leaves much to be desired, they should still be one of the top contenders this season. They extended Payton Pritchard on a four year, 30-million-dollar contract. The six-one point guard will play a crucial role for them off the bench. More importantly though, star forward Jaylen Brown signed the richest contract in NBA history, ensuring his Celtics tenure until 2028. Last season, Boston ranked second in offense and third in defense. It would be a disappointment if the Celtics didn’t finish in the top three or higher in defense this season, given the personnel. Holiday has made the all-defensive team five times throughout his career and Derrick White made the all-defensive second team just last season. As long as Boston stays healthy, and their bench finds a rhythm early in the season, the Celtics should expect to be no lower than the second seed in the Eastern Conference.

Season Prediction: 2nd seed in the East

No. 4 Phoenix Suns

Depth Chart: 

G: Devin Booker, Jordan Goodwin, Damion Lee

G: Bradley Beal, Eric Gordon, Nassir Little

F: Josh Okogie, Grayson Allen, Keita Bates-Diop

F: Kevin Durant, Yuta Watanabe, Chimezie Metu

C: Jusuf Nurkic, Drew Eubanks, Bol Bol

This Phoenix Suns team is one of the most star-studded teams in recent history, except this time, they have depth to go along with it. Phoenix traded for all-star guard Bradley Beal, shipping out Chris Paul, Landry Shamet and picks in the process. They also traded former first overall pick Deandre Ayton for multiple players that included Jusuf Nurkic, Grayson Allen, and Nassir Little. Phoenix made the finals back in 2021, however, only one player remains from that team, Devin Booker. Furthermore, the Suns only have four players on the current roster that were on the team last year. They are also going into the season with a new head coach, Frank Vogel. Vogel won a championship with the Lakers in 2020, during what was known as the “bubble”. The Western Conference is stacked this season, and no team stands out to surely make it to the finals, but the Suns has a chance to make some serious noise.

Season Prediction: 2nd seed in the West

No. 5 Los Angeles Lakers

Depth Chart:

G: D’Angelo Russell, Gabe Vincent, Jalen Hood-Schifino

G: Austin Reaves, Cam Reddish, Max Christie

F: LeBron James, Taurean Prince, Maxwell Lewis

F: Jarred Vanderbilt, Rui Hachimura, Colin Castleton

C: Anthony Davis, Christian Wood, Jaxson Hayes

This is one of the best teams LeBron James has ever had around him. The Lakers had a horrible start to last season, starting 0-5 for the first time since LeBron’s rookie season, and were 25-30 until the Westbrook trade. However, post Westbrook trade, that included D’Angelo Russell, Jarred Vanderbilt, and Malik Beasley coming to LA, the Lakers went 17-9. The Lakers finished as the seventh seed in the West, and made it all the way to the Western Conference Finals, before being swept by the soon-to-be champions the Denver Nuggets. In the offseason, general manager Rob Pelinka resigned many key pieces, including D’Angelo Russell, Austin Reaves and Rui Hachimura. Hachimura had a surprise breakout year for the Lakers, after having a disappointing career with the Wizards prior. Pelinka brought in Gabe Vincent, a key player in Miami Heat’s record-breaking run to the finals, as well as role players such as Taurean Prince and Christian Wood. As previously stated, the West is stacked, and the Lakers will be relying on, not only a healthy season from stars LeBron James and Anthony Davis, but also a very impactful season. LeBron, 38, is going into his 20th season in the NBA, and the Lakers don’t want to waste away his last years.

Season Prediction: 3rd seed in the West

No. 6 Minnesota Timberwolves

Depth Chart:

G: Mike Conley, Shake Milton, Jordan McLaughlin

G: Anthony Edwards, Nickeil Alexander-Walker, Wendell Moore Jr

F: Jaden McDaniels, Troy Brown Jr, Josh Minott

F: Karl-Anthony Towns, Kyle Anderson, Leonard Miller

C: Rudy Gobert, Naz Reid, Luka Garza

The Minnesota Timberwolves have arguably constructed their best team since the Kevin Garnett era. Led by young superstar Anthony Edwards, the Timberwolves view this season as a “boom or bust”, at least in terms of Karl-Anthony Towns, who was drafted by the team in 2015. Towns missed most of last season after suffering a calf strain and has dealt with numerous injuries in the past. In a blockbuster trade, the Wolves sent multiple players, including Walker Kessler and Jarred Vanderbilt, as well as five first round picks, to Utah for DPOY Rudy Gobert. Minnesota hopes that pairing Rudy and Towns in the front court, a powerhouse will be created this season. Most improved candidate Jaden McDaniels is expected to take a huge jump this season. McDaniels, who is one of the best young defenders in the league, is expected to make a scoring jump after the Wolves traded away D’Angelo Russell. The Timberwolves cleaned up the edges by signing guard Shake Milton and forward Troy Brown Jr, which may not catch the eye of casual NBA fans but could deem to be crucial come playoff time.

Season Prediction: 4th seed in the West

No. 7 Sacramento Kings

Depth Chart: 

G: De’Aaron Fox, Davion Mitchell, Colby Jones

G: Kevin Huerter, Malik Monk, Keon Ellis

F: Harrison Barnes, Chris Duarte, Kessler Edwards

F: Keegan Murray, Trey Lyles, JaVale McGee

C: Domantas Sabonis, Sasha Vezenkov, Alex Len

The Kings are coming off their best season in nearly two decades. Sacramento finished as the third seed in the Western Conference and lost in the first round to the former champions, the Golden State Warriors. They are led by star guard, De’Aaron Fox, and center, Domantas Sabonis. Many Kings fans were disgruntled after trading Tyrese Haliburton for Sabonis last year, however, it proved to have paid off. They also have Keegan Murray, the 4th overall pick from last season, who ranked second amongst rookies in three-point percentage. Sasha Vezenkov, a 28-year-old big from Cypress who was signed by the Kings after winning Euro League MVP, will be a top name to watch this season for Sacramento. Sac Town is hoping to show doubters that last year’s success wasn’t a fluke, and that they can play at this level for years to come.

Season Prediction: 5th seed in the West

No. 8 Golden State Warriors

Depth Chart: 

G: Steph Curry, Chris Paul, Cory Joseph

G: Klay Thompson, Moses Moody, Brandin Podziemski

F: Andrew Wiggins, Gary Payton II, Lester Quinones

F: Draymond Green, Jonathan Kuminga, Usman Garuba

C: Kevon Looney, Dario Saric, Trayce Jackson-Davis

The Golden State Warriors are nearing the home stretch with the core that brought the franchise four championship titles and five finals appearances. Newley enacted general manager Mike Dunleavly pulled off a trade that sent promising young guard Jordan Poole to Washington for 38-year-old Chris Paul in the offseason. Poole averaged 20 ppg off the bench for the dubs last season. Although to the naked eye that may seem like a disastrous trade for Golden State, it has potential to pay dividends. Superstar guard and two-time MVP, Steph Curry, has always played better alongside a good playmaker, and CP3 averaged nine assists for the Suns last season. Former seventh overall pick Jonathan Kuminga, who the Warriors have been hoping would take a scoring leap, was the second leading scorer in this years preseason, only behind Memphis’ Desmond Bane. Another thing for the Warriors to keep an eye on is Klay Thompson, who failed to agree to an extension, and will be an unrestricted free agent this upcoming offseason.

Season Prediction: 6th seed in the West

No. 9 Cleveland Cavaliers

Depth Chart:

G: Darius Garland, Ricky Rubio, Ty Jerome

G: Donovan Mitchell, Caris LeVert, Sam Merrill

F: Max Strus, Isaac Okoro, Emoni Bates

F: Evan Mobley, Georges Niang, Tristan Thompson

C: Jarrett Allen, Dean Wade, Damian Jones

The Cleveland Cavaliers traded for Donovan Mitchell in the 2022 offseason in a blockbuster trade that sent Lauri Markkanen, Collin Sexton, and other assets to Utah. Mitchell had a career year last season with the Cavs, averaging 28.3ppg on 48% shooting. They need his talent to translate to the playoff scale if Cleveland wants to make a deep run. The Knicks beat the Cavs in five games in the first round of last year’s playoffs, even though Cleveland was the higher seed. Three-point shooting was a key issue to tackle in the offseason, which they did. They pried Max Strus away from the Miami Heat, and Georges Niang from Philly. Former third overall pick Evan Mobley is a DPOY candidate this season. Mobley averaged nearly two blocks and a steal last season. Lastly, center Jarrett Allen could be on the trade block after a disappointing playoff series against the Knicks. Furthermore, the Cavs could look to move Mobley to his natural position at center in the process.

Season Prediction: 3rd seed in the East

No. 10 New York Knicks

Depth Chart: 

G: Jalen Brunson, Donte DiVincenzo, Ryan Arcidiacono

G: Quentin Grimes, Immanuel Quickley, Miles McBride

F: RJ Barrett, Evan Fournier, DaQuan Jeffries

F: Julius Randle, Josh Hart, Dylan Windler

C: Mitchell Robinson, Isaiah Hartenstein, Jericho Sims

The New York Knicks have decided to run it back after winning their first playoff series in a decade. The Knicks signed cornerstone Jalen Brunson in the 2022 offseason on a deal much of the league assumed was an overpay. However, Brunson has proved doubters wrong. He averaged 24 ppg and six assists on nearly 50% shooting. The Villanova alumni is now playing alongside three of his former college teammates, Donte DiVincenzo, Josh Hart, and Ryan Arcidiacono. Knicks big Julius Randle is coming off a big season, where he was named an all-star and third team all-NBA. Finally, guard Immanuel Quickley is the betting favorite to win sixth man of the year. A lot is in store for the Knicks this season, especially with Joel Embiid potentially wanting out of Philly soon.

Season Prediction: 4th seed in the East

No. 11 Miami Heat

Depth Chart: 

G: Kyle Lowry, Dru Smith, RJ Hampton

G: Tyler Herro, Duncan Robinson, Haywood Highsmith

F: Jimmy Butler, Josh Richardson, Jaime Jaquez Jr

F: Caleb Martin, Kevin Love, Nikola Jovic

C: Bam Adebayo, Thomas Bryant, Orlando Robinson

The Miami Heat made history as the second team in NBA history to make it to the finals as an eighth seed. The extraordinary win was led by superstar Jimmy Butler, who averaged nearly 27-7-6 in the playoffs. The celebration was short lived however, when they heard that Damian Lillard, who they had been linked to ever since he requested a trade from Portland back in July, had been traded to their rivals the Milwaukee Bucks. The Heat have missed out on multiple disgruntled stars over the past couple seasons, including Lillard, Bradley Beal, and James Harden. Now the Heat are left with a point guard rotation that leaves much to be desired. Kyle Lowry is 37 and going into his 17th season, and Dru Smith has earned his first standard NBA contract after a promising preseason. This Heat team has a wide range of where they could land in the standings, but nonetheless they should be expected to make the playoffs once again.

Season Prediction: 5th seed in the East

No. 12 Memphis Grizzlies

Depth Chart: 

G: Ja Morant, Derrick Rose, John Konchar

G: Marcus Smart, Luke Kennard, Ziaire Williams

F: Desmond Bane, David Roddy, Jake LaRavia

F: Jaren Jackson Jr, Brandon Clarke, Kenny Lofton Jr

C: Santi Aldama, Xavier Tillman, GG Jackson

The Grizzlies will be without their superstar guard Ja Morant for the first 25 games of the season following multiple instances including brandishing a firearm on Instagram Live. In the wake of the news of the suspension, Memphis traded for 2021-2022 Kia Defensive Player of the Year Marcus Smart. The bad news kept coming Memphis’ way, who were informed that they will be without starting center Steven Adams for the entirety of the season due to knee surgery. Furthermore, bench forward Brandon Clarke will also miss a large portion of the season with an injury. With all this being said, the Grizzlies will need their young players to step up in order to keep up in the West. Santi Aldama will likely be starting in place of Adams. Aldama averaged nine and five for the Grizzlies on 47% shooting. Overall, the injuries and suspensions will heavily impact Memphis’ season, to what extent is the question.

Season Prediction: 7th seed in the West

No. 13 Los Angeles Clippers

Depth Chart: 

G: Russell Westbrook, Bones Hyland, BJ Boston

G: Terance Mann, Norman Powell, Amir Coffey

F: Paul George, KJ Martin, Nic Batum

F: Kawhi Leonard, Marcus Morris, Robert Covington

C: Ivica Zubac, Mason Plumlee, Kobe Brown

The Los Angeles Clippers are finally going into a season with a fully healthy team. Their superstar Kawhi Leonard missed all last season with a torn meniscus injury. However, the league’s oldest team managed to get even older. The Clippers have only four players under the age of 25, and the chances of a championship are slipping further and further away. LA brought back Russell Westbrook and Mason Plumlee, two key role players for them. They also traded for young swingman KJ Martin. The pairing of Paul George and Kawhi Leonard has been lackluster, aside from the one WCF appearance, which was the first appearance for the Clippers in their history. LAC see Terance Mann as one of their building blocks and keys to the championship, or at least it appears that way. GM Trent Redden has been reluctant to include him in any deals for a star player, such as Bradley Beal, or most recently James Harden.

Season Prediction: 8th seed in the West

No. 14 Philadelphia 76ers

Depth Chart: 

G: James Harden, Patrick Beverley, Jaden Springer

G: Tyrese Maxey, DeAnthony Melton, Furkan Korkmaz

F: PJ Tucker, Kelly Oubre, Danny Green

F: Tobias Harris, Paul Reed, Danuel House Jr

C: Joel Embiid, Mo Bamba, Filip Petrusev

The Sixers season hinges on the decision of James Harden. Harden accepted his player option and immediately requested a trade out of Philadelphia. Harden was away from the team during the offseason and missed all of Philly’s preseason games. With that said, there have been conflicting reports on whether The Beard will suit up for the team this season. And, if he doesn’t, what does his market value look like? The Los Angeles Clippers have shown interest in him, but Philly is demanding at least Terance Mann, salary filler, and draft capital, something the Clippers aren’t willing to part with. They did sign solid role players like shooter Kelly Oubre Jr and “Mr. 94 feet” Patrick Beverley. On a greater scale, the New York Knicks have shown interest in trading for MVP Joel Embiid, if he were to request out of the City of Brotherly Love. However, he has reiterated his desire to stay in Philadelphia, even during the drama surrounding James Harden. It is hard to predict what will happen this season for the Nick Nurse led Sixers.

Season Prediction: 6th seed in the East

No. 15 Indiana Pacers

Depth Chart: 

G: Tyrese Haliburton, Andrew Nembhard, TJ McConnell

G: Bruce Brown, Buddy Hield, Ben Sheppard

F: Benedict Mathurin, Aaron Nesmith, Jordan Nwora

F: Obi Toppin, Jarace Walker, Jalen Smith

C: Myles Turner, Isaiah Jackson, Daniel Theis

The Indiana Pacers have one of the most promising young teams in the league. They strengthened this by drafting big man Jarace Walker eighth overall out of Houston and traded for former eighth overall pick Obi Toppin. Indiana also went all in and signed NBA champion, Bruce Brown, from the Nuggets on a two year, 45-million-dollar deal. Star guard Tyrese Haliburton averaged 21 ppg and 10 assists last season after being traded from the Sacramento Kings in a blockbuster that sent center Domantas Sabonis to Sac Town. Indy has one of the deepest teams in the league, with TJ McConnell and Jalen Smith likely not even making the rotation. The Pacers just extended forward Aaron Nesmith to a team friendly three year, 33-million-dollar contract. Buddy Hield requested a trade from Indy in the offseason but has decided to stay with the team. He is someone to look at on the trade market as the season persists.

Season Prediction: 7th seed in the East

No. 16 Oklahoma City Thunder

Depth Chart: 

G: Josh Giddey, Cason Wallace, Tre Mann

G: Shai Gilgeous-Alexander, Vasalije Micic, Isaiah Joe

F: Lu Dort, Kenrich Williams, Aaron Wiggins

F: Jalen Williams, Ousmane Dieng, Davis Bertans

C: Chet Holmgren, Jaylin Williams, Aleksej Pokusevksi

The most promising young team in the league is the Oklahoma City Thunder. The Thunder have constructed a team full of promising young players, as well as a plethora of draft capital. Their treasure trove includes 37 picks, 17 being first rounders. A bulk of these came from the Paul George trade that earned the Thunder five first round picks, as well as superstar guard Shai Gilgeous-Alexander. They also just received two more second round picks from Houston in the Kevin Porter Jr trade, who was immediately waived by the Thunder. KPJ was involved in a domestic violence case while a part of the Houston Rockets. Along with Shai, the Thunder have Chet Holmgren on the roster. Holmgren was the second overall pick in 2022 and missed the entirety of last season with a foot injury. OKC has a chance to be a playoff team this season, however, they may not have enough experience to make a deep playoff run.

Season Prediction: 9th seed in the West

No. 17 Dallas Mavericks

Depth Chart: 

G: Luka Doncic, Seth Curry, Dante Exum

G: Kyrie Irving, Jaden Hardy, Derrick Jones Jr

F: Josh Green, Tim Hardaway Jr, Olivier-Maxense Prosper

F: Grant Williams, Maxi Kleber, Markieff Morris

C: Dereck Lively, Dwight Powell, Richaun Holmes

The Dallas Mavericks have one of the most lethal backcourts in the NBA. Superstar Luka Doncic and Kyrie Irving led the Mavs to sixth in offensive rating last season. However, Dallas lacks a supporting cast. They extended young forward Josh Green on a very team friendly three year, 41-million-dollar deal. Green has shown flashes of outstanding defense, but his offense hasn’t come around yet. The Mavs executed a sign and trade in the offseason that landed them defensive stopper Grant Williams. Williams appears to be a perfect fit alongside Luka and Kyrie, but his offense also has yet to come around. Dereck Lively, their first-round rookie out of Duke, is likely to start at center for them. Alex Jensen, former Utah Jazz assistant coach responsible for his development of DPOY Rudy Gobert, joined Dallas’ staff with hopes of developing Lively. With this being said, the Mavericks may need a season or two for their young guys to develop enough into a competent roster around their two superstar guards, but time will only tell.

Season Prediction: 10th seed in the West

No. 18 Atlanta Hawks

Depth Chart: 

G: Trae Young, Kobe Bufkin, Patty Mills

G: Dejounte Murray, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Wesley Matthews

F: DeAndre Hunter, Saddiq Bey, Garrison Matthews

F: Jalen Johnson, AJ Griffin, Mohammed Gueye

C: Clint Capela, Onyeka Okongwu, Bruno Fernando

The Atlanta Hawks have found themselves in a pool of mediocrity. They finally traded away forward John Collins, even though all they got back for him was a bag of chips. With this being said, their youngsters, Jalen Johnson, AJ Griffin, Onyeka Okongwu, and Kobe Bufkin have all looked very promising, especially in preseason. Jalen Johnson showed outstanding flashes, especially in his playmaking abilities. Although his preseason stats don’t directly reflect it, the 6 ‘8 forward out of Duke could start for the Hawks this season, and is likely to take a leap. With the extension of Onyeka Okongwu, Clint Capela’s tenure appears to be nearing an end. His name is one to watch for, especially around the trade deadline. Star guard Trae Young arguably had a very underrated season, averaging 26 points and 10 assists for Atlanta. However, his defense and efficiency has always been his biggest drawback.

Season Prediction: 8th seed in the East

No. 19 Orlando Magic

Depth Chart: 

G: Jalen Suggs, Cole Anthony, Joe Ingles

G: Markelle Fultz, Anthony Black, Caleb Houstan

F: Franz Wagner, Gary Harris, Chuma Okeke

F: Paolo Banchero, Jett Howard, Jon Isaac

C: Wendell Carter, Mo Wagner, Goga Bitadze

The Orlando Magic is armed with one of the league’s best young cores. Led by rookie of the year and former first overall pick Paolo Banchero, the Magic are a team to watch to make a substantial jump this season. Franz Wagner, a 6’10 forward out of Michigan, has shown immense potential and is expected to make yet another jump this season. The Magic have their guard rotation of the future set, with Markelle Fultz, Jalen Suggs, Cole Anthony, and Anthony Black. Cole Anthony just signed a three year, 39-million-dollar extension with the team. Along with vet players Gary Harris and Joe Ingles, Orlando could make some serious noise out East.

Season Prediction: 9th seed in the East

No. 20 Brooklyn Nets

Depth Chart: 

G: Ben Simmons, Dennis Smith Jr, Dariq Whitehead

G: Spencer Dinwiddie, Lonnie Walker IV, Cam Thomas

F: Mikal Bridges, Royce O’Neale, Trendon Watford

F: Cam Johnson, Dorian Finney-Smith, Noah Clowney

C: Nic Claxton, DayRon Sharpe, Harry Giles III

It appears the league will finally see a healthy Ben Simmons for the first time since being traded from the Philadelphia 76ers. The former DPOY candidate, Simmons has been riddled with injuries and drama. After a lackluster playoff run, Simmons had requested a trade out of Philly. Some tension filled time past, and he was finally traded away in exchange for James Harden, who has brought his own drama to the City of Brotherly Love. Back in Brooklyn though, things seem to be on the rise. Mikal Bridges has looked like an all-star since being traded from Phoenix in the Kevin Durant blockbuster. In the deal, the Nets also acquired Cam Johnson, a sharpshooting forward out of North Carolina. At center, Brooklyn has DPOY candidate Nicolas Claxton. Claxton averaged two and a half blocks and nearly a steal a game last season. Off the bench, they have sharpshooters Lonnie Walker IV and Cam Thomas, as well as defensive anchors Royce O’Neale and Dorian Finney-Smith.

Season Prediction: 10th seed in the East

No. 21 New Orleans Pelicans

Depth Chart: 

G: CJ McCollum, Jose Alvarado, Kira Lewis Jr

G: Herb Jones, Dyson Daniels, Dereon Seabron

F: Brandon Ingram, Jordan Hawkins, Naji Marshall

F: Zion Williamson, Trey Murphy III, EJ Liddell

C: Jonas Valanciunas, Larry Nance, Cody Zeller

The Pelicans decided to predominantly run it back after finishing as the ninth seed out West last season. Former number one overall pick from the 2019 draft, Zion Williamson, is entering the first year of his newly signed five-year extension. Zion has missed 60% of the Pelicans total games since being drafted and played only 29 games last season. Furthermore, the Pelicans will be without promising young forward Trey Murphy III for an unknown amount of time after suffering a meniscus injury. This is a huge loss for New Orleans, who were hoping he could take another step in his development. Team cornerstone Brandon Ingram could fetch a supermax extension next offseason if he earns All-NBA recognition this year.  The Pelicans have made the playoffs only once since Zion and Ingram arrived, and that resulted in a first-round exit.

Season Prediction: 11th seed in the West

No. 22 Utah Jazz

Depth Chart: 

G: Collin Sexton, Talen Horton-Tucker, Kris Dunn

G: Jordan Clarkson, Keyonte George, Josh Christopher

F: Lauri Markkanen, Ochai Agbaji, Simone Fontecchio

F: John Collins, Taylor Hendricks, Brice Sensabough

C: Walker Kessler, Kelly Olynyk, Omer Yurtseven

It has been one year since the Jazz made the great purge that saw their two All-Stars get traded. Donovan Mitchell packed his bags and headed East to Cleveland, and Rudy Gobert headed North to Minnesota. The Jazz used their first-round pick on versatile forward Taylor Hendricks, and their other first round pick on guard Keyonte George. There has been great enthusiasm surrounding George, who averaged just over 15 ppg for Baylor. Guard Jordan Clarkson decided to sign a three-year contract extension to stay in Utah rather than testing free agency, a win for both player and team. Lauri Markkanen surprised the world last season after being traded from Cleveland. The  6 ’11 forward from Finland earned himself an All-Star starters spot after not even being in contention for the All-Star game in years prior. This team lacks a true identity but aims to find it this season. Coach Will Hardy could once again be in contention for Coach of the Year if the Jazz make it to the play-in or even perhaps the playoffs.

Season Prediction: 12th seed in the West

No. 23 Chicago Bulls

Depth Chart: 

G: Jevon Carter, Alex Caruso, Ayo Dosumnu

G: Zach LaVine, Coby White, Justin Lewis

F: DeMar DeRozan, Dalen Terry, Julian Philips

F: Patrick Williams, Torrey Craig, Terry Taylor

C: Nikola Vucevic, Andre Drummond, Adama Sanogo

The Bulls seem torn between going into yet another rebuild or keeping the core intact and pursuing a playoff run. The core, consisting of Zach LaVine, DeMar DeRozan, and Nikola Vucevic, appeared to look amazing after claiming the 1st seed in the East for much of the 2021-2022 season. However, this was short lived, after their playmaking glue guy Lonzo Ball went down with a season ending injury, one that will leave him out the entirety of this season as well. The Bulls have been regressing ever since, with last season failing to make it past the play-in tournament. They re-signed 33-year-old center Nikola Vucevic on a three year deal, and are in extension talks with 34 year old DeMar DeRozan. The core, excluding Zach LaVine, is old, especially considering the lack of success the team has had with them. The Bulls seem destined for another rebuild if this season is a bust, and, without a real starting point guard, it seems to be trending in that direction.

Season Prediction: 11th seed in the East

No. 24 Toronto Raptors

Depth Chart: 

G: Dennis Schroder, Gary Trent Jr, Malachi Flynn

G: OG Anunoby, Gradey Dick, Garrett Temple

F: Scottie Barnes, Jalen McDaniels, Otto Porter Jr

F: Pascal Siakam, Chris Boucher, Thaddeus Young

C: Jakob Poeltl, Precious Achiuwa, Christian Koloko

The Toronto Raptors have failed to bridge the gap between the championship to contention again. After winning the NBA finals in 2019, they lost their best player and finals MVP Kawhi Leonard in free agency. This immediately set them back, especially with players retiring such as Marc Gasol and Serge Ibaka, or losing key players through free agency and trades such as Fred VanVleet and Kyle Lowry. Three players remain from that championship team, OG Anunoby, Pascal Siakam, and Chris Boucher. The Raptors drafted point forward Scottie Barnes fourth overall in 2021. After a sophomore slump, third-year Barnes looks to progress like most thought he would after winning Rookie of the Year. They only have two true point guards on the roster, newly signed Dennis Schroder, and 6 ‘1 guard from Washington State Malachi Flynn. The bettors do not seem to favor the Raptors going into this season, with Vegas predicting they will miss the playoffs for the second year in a row.

Season Prediction: 12th seed in the East

No. 25 Houston Rockets

Depth Chart: 

G: Fred VanVleet, Amen Thompson, Aaron Holiday

G: Jalen Green, Cam Whitmore, Victor Oladipo

F: Dillon Brooks, Jae’Sean Tate, Reggie Bullock

F: Jabari Smith Jr, Tari Eason, Jeff Green

C: Alperen Sengun, Jock Landale, Boban Marjanovic

The Houston Rockets had money to spend and decided to spend every penny of it. They signed free agent guard Fred VanVleet to a three year, 129-million-dollar contract, as well as bruiser Dillon Brooks to a four year, 80-million-dollar deal. They also found luck in the draft, where 6 ‘7 forward from Villanova Cam Whitmore fell to them at pick 20. Houston also drafted Amen Thompson with the fourth overall pick. Thompson is a versatile 6’8 guard out of the G-League’s Overtime Elite team. Jabari Smith Jr, their 1st round pick from last season, showed progression in this year’s preseason. The Rockets also brought in vets Reggie Bullock and NBA champion Jeff Green. This Rockets team still needs time to grow before making noise in the West.

Season Prediction: 13th seed in the West

No. 26 San Antonio Spurs

Depth Chart: 

G: Jeremy Sochan, Tre Jones, Devonte Graham

G: Devin Vassell, Malaki Branham, Blake Wesley

F: Keldon Johnson, Cedi Osman, Julian Champagnie

F: Victor Wembanyama, Doug McDermott, Sidy Cissoko

C: Zach Collins, Charles Bassey, Sandro Mamukelashvilli

The San Antonio Spurs won the lottery, literally. San Antonio had the first overall pick in this year’s draft where they selected arguably the best prospect ever, Victor Wembanyama. Wemby, a 7 ‘4 big from France, can do a little bit of everything. His length and athleticism, combined with pure talent, makes him potentially one of the best in the league, even without playing a single second of regular season basketball. The Spurs have been blessed with overseas talent, from the likes of Manu Ginobili and most notably Tim Duncan. Aside from Wemby, the Spurs are filled with young talent. They just re-signed point guard Tre Jones, who averaged 13 ppg and seven assists for them last season, as well as extending center Zach Collins to a deal that will keep him around for the next three seasons. Lastly, Jeremy Sochan, the Spurs 1st round pick from last season, is expected to start at point guard for Gregg Popovich. This means the Spurs starting five will all be 6’5 or taller. Although expectations are low for the league’s youngest team, San Antonio will be a team to watch as long as Wembanyama is on the court.

Season Prediction: 14th seed in the West

No. 27 Detroit Pistons

Depth Chart: 

G: Cade Cunningham, Monte Morris, Killian Hayes

G: Jaden Ivey, Alec Burks, Marcus Sasser

F: Bojan Bogdanovic, Joe Harris, Malcolm Cazalon

F: Isaiah Stewart, Ausar Thompson, Isaiah Livers

C: Jalen Duren, James Wiseman, Marvin Bagley IV

The Detroit Pistons have been lurking at the bottom of the Eastern Conference for the past five seasons, and it seems that the streak will continue. The Pistons drafted Ausar Thompson fifth overall in this year’s draft. Thompson, from the G-Leagues Overtime Elite, is a very promising young player and ensures to be a building block for this young Pistons team. Former first overall pick Cade Cunningham has been riddled with injuries since being drafted in 2021, however, he has shown flashes of superstardom. The Pistons have four young bigs that all have shown promise. Jalen Duren averaged nine points, nine rebounds and nearly a block per game. James Wiseman averaged 10 points and six rebounds since being traded from the Golden State Warriors, and Isaiah Stewart and Marvin Bagley IV both signed extensions recently with Detroit. The Pistons will be without Bojan Bogdanovic for at least the first four weeks with a right calf strain. Monte Morris and Isaiah Livers also caught the injury bug and will miss the first month or so along with Bogdanovic.

Season Prediction: 13th seed in the East

No. 28 Portland Trail Blazers

Depth Chart: 

G: Scoot Henderson, Malcolm Brogdan, Skylar Mays

G: Anfernee Simons, Matisse Thybulle, Rayan Rupert

F: Shaedon Sharpe, Ish Wainwright, Jabari Walker

F: Jerami Grant, Kris Murray, Toumani Camara

C: Deandre Ayton, Robert Williams, Moses Brown

Damian Lillard is no longer a Portland Trail Blazer. The Lillard saga ended with him being sent to Milwaukee in a three-team deal that earned the Blazers former first overall pick Deandre Ayton, sixth man of the year Malcolm Brogdan, and defensive anchor Robert Williams. Thankfully, the Blazers may not need to wait very long for their next franchise cornerstone. Scoot Henderson, who they drafted third overall in this year’s draft, already looks like he is that guy. The Blazers then selected Kris Murray 23rd overall from Iowa, and young project Rayan Rupert from France. Prior to the Dame trade, the Blazers signed Jerami Grant to a massive five year, 160-million-dollar deal. This is obviously a long-term project, and Blazers fans can expect Portland to be a lottery team for the next few seasons to come.

Season Prediction: 15th seed in the West

No. 29 Charlotte Hornets

Depth Chart: 

G: LaMelo Ball, Nick Smith Jr, Ish Smith

G: Terry Rozier, Bryce McGowens, Frank Ntilikina

F: Gordon Hayward, Brandon Miller, James Bouknight

F: PJ Washington, Miles Bridges, Cody Martin

C: Mark Williams, Nick Richards, JT Thor

The Charlotte Hornets are best described with one word, drama. Miles Bridges was charged in a domestic violence case stemming back from 2021 which caused him to miss the entirety of last season. The Hornets signed him to a qualifying offer, guaranteeing his contract to the end of the 2023-2024 season. Now, a few weeks before the season started, a warrant was filed for Bridges arrest regarding the same case. And the criminal history of Charlotte doesn’t end there, James Bouknight, the 11th pick from the 2021 draft, was arrested for DWI in 2022, where he was found unconscious and holding a firearm in his hand. Lastly, former first round pick Kai Jones was waived by the team after videos of him went viral on social media where he appeared to be on substances. There is light at the end of the tunnel, star guard LaMelo Ball was signed to an extension that ensures his stay in Charlotte until 2028. Brandon Miller was drafted 2nd overall in this year’s draft. Miller has high potential in this league as long as he doesn’t follow the path his teammates have followed.

Season Prediction: 14th seed in the East

No. 30 Washington Wizards

Depth Chart:

G: Tyus Jones, Delon Wright, Ryan Rollins

G: Jordan Poole, Landry Shamet, Johnny Davis

F: Corey Kispert, Deni Avdija, Danilo Gallinari

F: Kyle Kuzma, Bilal Couliably, Patrick Baldwin Jr

C: Daniel Gafford, Mike Muscala, Anthony Gill

The Wizards hit the hard reset and traded away stars Bradley Beal to Phoenix and Kristaps Porzingis to Boston. They received Jordan Poole, Tyus Jones, and other assets in the deals. Poole averaged 20 ppg off the bench for the Warriors last season. This year’s preseason sums Jordan Poole up well, he went for 41 points against the Knicks, and followed it up with an 11-point game against Charlotte where he shot 15% from the field. The scoring potential is there but inconsistency is his glaring issue. The Wizards committed to Kyle Kuzma by re-signing him to a four year, 90-million-dollar deal. They also extended Deni Advija, a Swiss army knife style player from Israel and the longest tenured player on the Wizards. Lastly, they drafted Bilal Coulibaly from France. Couliably has a high boom or bust potential, but Washington is willing to take a chance on the 19-year-old.

Season Prediction: 15th in the East