Make the most of Valentine’s Day

Girls receive beautiful bouquets of flowers on Valentine’s Day.

Maxine Almendra, Staff Reporter

Valentine’s Day is either a romantic holiday for significant others or a dreaded yearly reminder of how “forever alone” we are.

Valentine’s Day is not as it was in grade school. In elementary, Valentine’s Day was an excuse to have a party in class, eat a bunch of candy, and everyone had to give each person a valentine. Now that I’m in high school, Valentine’s Day is secluded to only couples and secret crushes. In my four years of high school I think I’ve seen it all: giant teddy bears, bouquets of flowers, and guys asking girls to be their official girlfriends.

For couples, Valentine’s Day is just an excuse to buy your girlfriend overpriced flowers and a cliché Hallmark card. I think that you don’t need a yearly excuse to make your special someone feel special. They should always feel that way if you’re with them. Valentine’s Day is a socially acceptable holiday to go the “extra-mile” and buy something heart shaped and chocolate in a box.

I’m not a fan of the cheesy gift of one dozen roses along with a giant stuffed animal. I think the more thought you put into a gift the better. Anyone can go to the store and buy a bunch of flowers; but if the gift is handmade and personal, it means a lot more. I’m also fan of humorous gifts rather than cute ones. Gifts that make you laugh show that your significant other is not just your boyfriend or girlfriend, but also your best friend.

For this Valentine’s Day, I made my boyfriend a giant card filled with a collage of funny Valentine’s Day cards that have to do with all the movies and television shows we’ve watched together. I taped it to the back of a Peanut Butter Cap’n Crunch cereal box along with packs of Reese’s peanut butter cups since those are some of his favorites. I tried to make it as thoughtful as possible and give him something that would make him laugh and love the gift. I could’ve gone the simple route, and just bought candy and a pre-made card, but I think the work was worth it, even though it looks a bit makeshift with all the tape and crooked edges.

If you’re single, don’t use Valentine’s Day as an excuse to mope around and be lonely. You always have the day after Valentine’s Day to look forward to because then there’s a whole bunch of discounted boxes of chocolates waiting to be devoured. Rent a good movie, swaddle yourself in comfy blankets and enjoy the time you have all to yourself. And if you really want flowers, go buy yourself some. Flowers are still just as beautiful even if they weren’t given by some adolescent boy.

Whether you’re a helpless romantic or a bitter cynic, I think it’s important to make the most out of this year’s Valentine’s Day.