Bulldog Project makes impacts at Tracy High and in community

Bulldog Project President Jenna Wesley speaks at the school-wide rally in honor of Audrie Pott.

Wayne Thallander

Blake Lazar, Editor-in-Chief

The Tracy High Bulldog Project has had a huge impact on not only Tracy High School students and faculty, but the city of Tracy as a whole. Raising awareness for cyber-bullying through an assembly is only one of the many ways the club helps the community.

Bulldog Project was founded by former Tracy student Jeff Takahashi to raise awareness on anti-bullying.

The club was something that Takahashi started with friends and is partnered with Tracy Crime Stoppers. Little did he know the club would have over 150 members and be a huge part of Tracy.

Takahashi’s parents still help run Bulldog Project, even though he is away at college. His mom plays a huge role and plans all the events with the help of the current club president Jenna Wesley.

The club wants students to report bullying, be nice to others, and always be the best that you can be.

Bulldog Project put on an assembly for all Tracy High students on Dec. 4, to raise awareness on cyber-bullying and to share the story of Audrie Pott.

Pott, a student at Saratoga High School, was a victim of sexual assault at a party, cyber-bullying on social media, and harassment at school, which eventually led to her suicide in late 2012.

The assembly put on by the Tracy High Bulldog Project featured Pott’s family members including her father, mother, and step-mother who spoke to students and guests.

The rally also discussed the launch of Audrie’s Law, a law punishing students who are cyber-bullying. Pott’s parents got this signed into law in the fall of 2013.

Tracy students were touched by what Pott’s family had to say. The respect shown from the students towards the Pott family and Bulldog Project members was greatly appreciated.

Pott’s family was amazed by the positive energy that Tracy High expressed and the warm gestures given from all.

Not only did Tracy High students and teachers attend this rally, but also Tracy Unified School District officials, the mayor of Tracy, state representatives, and people from the media were guests.

By putting on assemblies such as this one, it implores students to treat each other with respect and to think about their actions before they do something.

Every school should have a club or program similar to Bulldog Project.

The club talks to students about entering high school freshman year and the different social situations they may experience.

Bulldog Project is present at many town events including the “Tracy’s Got Talent” talent show, the Taste of the Valley Art & Food Festival, and is a regular presenter at many local middle schools.

Many businesses help sponsor Bulldog Project including: Thai Cafe, Trosein Orthodontics, Tracy Ford, Tracy Chevrolet, La Villa Mexican Restaurant, Barista’s Coffee, Lexus of Pleasanton, Milano’s Pizza, Taylor Farms Pacific Inc., Stu Jossey Photography, Isak’s Car Wash and Detail, Tracy Optometry, Elaine’s Boutique, First Class Service Trucking, First Class Service Travel, and many more.

It will be nice to see more assemblies put on by Bulldog Project similar to the most recent one featured on the bully-related death of Audrie Pott.

More local schools should start clubs and programs similar to the Bulldog Project to rid of cyber-bullying and bullying at school in the Tracy area. Eventually, the creation of related programs in other areas would be ideal.