Bas, Davis compete in section golf event

Brooke Davis finishes her swing during  a match.

Hayley Nunes

Brooke Davis finishes her swing during a match.

Hayley Nunes, Staff Reporter

Tracy High’s girls’ golf team ended its season at the Sac-Joaquin section meet on Oct. 21. Coach Derek Solano was really proud of his girls.

“I think we may have underachieved,” Solano said. “I thought we would have been a little bit better than we were.”

The golf team is young. Next year, Solano has four returners, who will be seniors.

The team’s record was 8-5 overall, but their league record was 6-4 and placed third in league.

Before sections, there was a league meet, where all teams in your league meet to advance to section.

Because the golf team came in third in league, the team was unable to advance as a team in playoffs.

The two girls from the Tracy High School’s team who advanced to the sections as individuals were junior Kirsten Bas and senior Brooke Davis.

There were only six spots available to make it to sections. Bas came in first and Davis got the last spot.

Solano didn’t give Bas or Davis any advice before the section match. All he said was to try and get a score of 100 or less and have fun.

Davis thought her season went very well.

“I had my good days and I have my bad days,” Davis said.

Last year, Davis did not make the team, so she continued with her lessons and improved. For the first part of the season was really rough, but as the season continued she kept getting stronger and better.

To prepare for the sections, Davis practiced a lot with her teammate at the Tracy Golf Country Club.

“My goal for the sections match was to really have fun,” Davis said, “I had to get a score of 80 for 18 holes to move to onto masters, so I knew it was going to be rough.”

Though Davis didn’t do as well as she thought she would in the section match. She walked in with a positive attitude and did the best she could, and shot a 130.

Bas was another who advanced to the sections as an individual.

“I loved how my season went,” Bas said. “I felt like I definitely improved a lot from last year and I was really happy.”

She the was number one on the team, which means she was the best scorer on the team.

Bas learned a lot from this season. She learned to be more consistent and understands the game better from playing with really good people.

“I was really happy to have made sections this year,” Bas said. “I made it last year too, so I was really proud that I made it again.”

Her goals going into sections were to keep calm and have fun. She wanted to relax and try not and overthink things. Her main goal was to just think positive.

Bas’s shot a 110 in the event. She thought she didn’t do that great, but was happy that she improved from last year. Bas knew she could have done better, but she was positive during the whole match.

Solano believes that just being at sections is really fun and an experience.

“I believed that Bas and Davis could have done better,” Solano said, “I am still very proud of them.”