• Scholar & Athlete is the Tracy High School student newspaper
  • Email for newspaper adviser - Brandon Red, [email protected]
  • Tracy High School - 315 East Eleventh Street - Tracy, California 95376 - Phone 209.830.3360
The student news site of Tracy High School

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Scholar & Athlete

Polls
Sorry, there are no polls available at the moment.

Girls Basketball Pushing Forward

On Monday, Dec. 4, the Tracy High School girls basketball team traveled to Manteca to kick off their pre-season. With a tough fight, East Union defeated Tracy High 48-28.

“I love the team and I think we are all still getting to know each other, and the younger girls are learning what jobs we each have to do when we get put in, in order to have a different outcome,” junior Elisa Galli, starting forward said. “We did really good in the first half and it is way more competitive playing with the older girls.”

With an intense 8-minute quarter, the Bulldogs and Lancers battled back and forth, ending the first quarter with a score of 14-8, East Union leading.

“I am sad that this is my last year playing on the varsity basketball team,” senior Madison Cornwell, starting guard said. “This was always the sport that I looked forward to every year and it makes me sad that I won’t have it to look forward to next year.”

With a tough fight from the Bulldogs, the Lancers kept their lead in the second quarter, ending it with a score of 25-20. Gianna Rinaldo scored the final three points in the last two seconds of the second quarter to keep the Bulldogs in the game.

“Through the years of playing I have learned that creating a bond with your team is the best way to be a successful team. Being close with everyone on the team creates connections and helps understand how everyone plays their style of basketball differently and it makes us a stronger team,” Cornwell said.

After halftime, the Bulldogs had their chance to come back, but the Lancers put up a fight and didn’t let the Bulldogs back in the game. Cornwell scored the last three points, hitting a three-pointer at the end of third quarter, finishing the quarter with a score of 40-27.

“I think we could have had a different outcome if we could have more ball movement instead of always putting the ball on the ground first,” senior Aliya Tipton, starting center explained. “I also think when one thing or play didn’t go our way, we sort of started to give up.”

Still putting up a fight, the Lancers kept the lead, defeating the Bulldogs with a score of 48-28 in the final quarter. The Bulldogs still have the season ahead of them and are all focused on practicing harder and working towards bettering their team.

“I feel great because I’m really looking forward to the season but at the same time, I am very sad that this is my last season of basketball in high school, and I am still debating on playing at the next level,” Tipton said.