Gymnastics prepares for their upcoming season

Jazmine Vining, Staff Reporter

Tracy High’s gymnastic team is preparing for their first meet is on April 1.The team’s first meet will be at Classic Gymnastics in Tracy. The gymnastics coach Jenny Yannessa prepares her girl with basic conditioning to keep their strength up on the floor.

This year the gymnastics team has some new talent. Junior Shelby Hurd, freshman Emily Vasquez-Santiago, freshman Kaitlyn Wallace, and freshman Jada Haynes are the team’s new additions.

“I feel that the new girls are a stronger support on the team,” Yannessa said.

Tracy High will be competing against Kimball High and West High. Though they compete against each other, all schools practice and warm up together.

“I am excited to see the outcome of the girls’ performance,” Yannessa said.

Along with the new addition to the team there are some returning gymnasts this season. Senior Morgan Balaban, sophomore Lauren Arganbright, and senior Rachel Pombo come back to join the gymnastics team again for another year.

Some improvements have been made in Pombo’s performance.

“I am excited to see what improvements she has made and I’m also looking forward to what the other girls have been working on,” Yannessa said.

Pombo has improved in her vaulting. “This year is more fun and I am enjoying myself,” Pombo said.

Pombo’s skills are in floor exercise and tumbling.

“I feel that I am better than I was last year”, said Pombo.

The new gymnasts have quickly adapted to their new team.

“I like my team .They are all really nice people, and I think they will do really well in their performances,” Pombo said.

Along with Pombo, Arganbright has her own opinion on how the girls will do in their performances.

“The new members are really nice. I like them a lot, but they still have a lot to learn,” Arganbright said.

Last year returning gymnast Arganbright didn’t finish out the season due to a back injury while she was tumbling. This year she will have to improve her skills and work hard for the good of the team and herself.

“I will really have to level up my skills in order to do well on the team this year,” Arganbright said.