Girls’ cheer team enters new season with high hopes

Girls+cheer+team+performs+at+first+home+football+game.+

Girls’ cheer team performs at first home football game.

Druce Asah, Staff Reporter

The Tracy High cheer team accomplished many goals during the summer, and is looking forward to the upcoming cheer season.

The team kicked its 2014-2015 season off to a great start at the Universal Cheerleaders Association’s Squaw Valley summer cheer camp, winning the most awards as a school, including the jump off, the pinned, award and getting asked to be UCA coaches next year

“Camp was amazing,” Cheer Coach Sheila Soares said.

According to Soares, the girls did well and were unified as a team at camp. This was exciting because half of the team is brand new to THS cheer.

There is a diversity of experience on the cheer team, some with years of experience, and others brand new to the sport

According to Soares, the program has a great varsity team filled with talent as well as a strong junior varsity program.

She’s excited for the season as well as fulfilling the team’s goals.                                       “To have fun, motivate our teams, and improve our skills are our goals,” Soares said.

Soares was ecstatic when asked about her thoughts on varsity cheer co-captain Katie Early.

“She’s simply amazing; she is the true definition of a cheerleader. Her spirit knowledge of the sport and attitude are a pleasure. I’m lucky to be her coach. She’s is infectious,” Soares said.

Early, varsity captain, with Emily Massa and Karlie Brown, said she is looking forward to enjoying her fourth year in cheering and being captain to her teammates.

“I’m excited to cheer for football because I just love the atmosphere, and I love the sport overall,” Early said.

She has aspirations to be an NFL cheerleader.

Every high school football game is a step closer to my dream,

— Katie Early

Early is able to keep a close relationship to the girls as a captain because she thinks of them as her own sisters.

Early, Massa, and Brown make decisions as captains to support each other and have a united front to the team.

The team has been working on different stunt groups to maximize talents. Soares claims the new routines are amazing. “They are amazing so be ready.”